Don’t Mind Me, I’m Just a Millennial: Desperate, (Educated) and In Debt

According to the United States Chamber Foundation, 72 percent of all high school students in the United States graduate. This is the highest percentage of graduating students in more than two decades. But what does this number mean, aside from the looming student debt not too far ahead?

Of the aforementioned 72 percent, 68 percent enroll in college, and 58 percent of those students will receive a bachelor’s degree within six years. But here’s the rub: for the first time in United States history, there is more student loan debt than credit card debt.

Don’t get me wrong, education may be expensive, but the payout is awesome (literally). It’s simple – the more education you have, the better job you will get, and therefore the more money you will acquire. In the long run, Millennials, if they land a high-paying job, can pay off their student loans, which average at $25,000.

Not all Millennials, however, suffer from student debt. Some are fortunate enough to have college scholarships, or even better, their tuition just isn’t a big deal because their parents’ incomes land them in the upper-middle or upper class categories on the socioeconomic spectrum.

But here are the facts: 42 percent of Millennials are in student debt. So, let me ask you this—who is responsible?

According to a study conducted by Harvard University, 42 percent of Millennials believe colleges and universities are responsible for student debt, 30 percent said the federal government, 11 percent said students themselves and eight said state governments. Taking these statistics into account, who is to blame?

I want to receive a higher education. I want a degree with my name on it. I most definitely do not want to spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder because of the money I still owe to a college that I no longer attend. I should be able to make life decisions without worrying about the price I have yet to pay for an education that I already received. 

College tuition should be free.