Campaign Central

Campaign+Central

Democrat:

Hillary Clinton came out victorious at the Iowa Caucus with 49.9 percent of the votes, followed closely by Bernie Sanders with 49.6 percent of the votes. Afterwards, Martin O’Malley pulled out of the presidential campaign after gaining only 0.6 percent of the votes. This leaves only Clinton and Sanders in the race for the Democratic nomination. Clinton continues to be the leading Democratic candidate across the board, having won 23 delegates in Iowa. USA Today’s national poll shows that Clinton is far ahead with support from 50 percent of the polled voters, with Sanders at 36 percent. Events coming up for the Democratic party are the Nevada Democratic Caucus on Feb. 20 and the South Carolina Democratic primary on Feb. 27.

Republican:

After the Iowa Caucus on Feb. 1, Ted Cruz came out as the winning candidate with 28 percent of the votes. Behind him was Donald Trump with 24 percent and Marco Rubio with 23 percent. Shortly after Ted Cruz’s victory, Mike Huckabee dropped out of the election, having received only two percent of the votes. This leaves nine candidates who are still running in the election. Trump, having won seven delegates in Iowa, is still in the lead for the Republican nomination with support from 33 percent of the polled voters in a national poll conducted by USA Today. Behind Trump is Cruz with 21 percent, Rubio with 13 percent, and Carson with eight percent. Be on the lookout for the South Carolina Republican primary on Feb. 20 and the Nevada Republican Caucus on Feb. 23.