Student Council Passes on Its Torch

On Wednesday, March 9, the 2015-2016 Student Council passed on its leadership roles to the 2016-2017 Student Council. Following a heartfelt speech from Mrs. Jones, senior and former President Frances Burton addressed both her council and the Upper School, thanking them for a wonderful year. Burton then welcomed the new council and expressed her confidence in their leadership.

[unitegallery stucoinstallation16]

After the speeches, the new council members assumed their positions while previous members took their seats with the rest of the Upper School. Each member of the 2016-2017 council lit a candle to symbolize the start of her Student Council position.

A few parting words from the former council:

“The thing I’m most proud of is that this year, hopefully, our student council has become more of a visible presence in the Upper School. That was definitely a big goal for the year because we wanted to improve communication and make ourselves more visible to students. I’m proud of our council, and I think we did a lot.” – senior and former President Frances Burton

“Even though we’re in the same grade and the same school, I never would have had a chance to be this close with these people. To know that I won’t have these people around me anymore really touched my heart.” – senior and former Vice President Gabria Pearson

A few welcoming words from the new council:

“As president of StuCo next year, I’m looking forward to, first of all, senior year, but I’m also excited about making changes, bringing the community together and working to make sure that everyone is excited and happy being a student.” – President and junior Joy Nesbitt

“I’m most looking forward to getting to know some of the school’s unspoken leaders through organizing clubs, and I’m excited to work with the whole council to bring a bunch of new changes for next year. I understand what it feels like to want to be heard, and I want to be that outlet for the students to be able to communicate to the administration and the faculty to be able to mold their upper school experience into a memorable one.” – Vice President and junior Molly Mahowald