New Year, New Website

It’s been three months into 2016 and just when you thought you couldn’t start something new, Hockaday’s website inspires us all to stick to our New Year’s resolutions of eating healthy and exercising more.

The renewed and revamped Hockaday website is user-friendly and easy to access, combining function and form. Aesthetically pleasing with a Fourcast-esque header, people interested in learning about The Hockaday School can surely find relevant and necessary information.

Hday Website

For users, navigation is clear and self explanatory. The slideshow at the top of the home page reflects what it means to be a part of the Hockaday community–lively, colorful and involved. The pictures do a good job in representing all the different grade levels partaking in different activities. A minor critique of mine would be to include teachers, as they are integral to the Hockaday community as well. Nonetheless, users will walk away from the website with a clearer idea of Hockaday’s mission, which is, in fact, one of the slideshow pictures.

Mission Stmt

Scrolling down to the bottom of the page, one can find Hockaday’s cornerstones, reminding users of this institution’s unique history and its mission of educating girls to become well-rounded and confident leaders.

Cornerstones

The badges at the bottom of the slideshow indicate current events, and a hyperlink to the summer catalogue are helpful, while the calendar reminds users of student life. In addition, the news widget prides on student’s accomplishments in various clubs.

Further down the page, users can learn more about the school and its all-girls philosophy. I decided to do some exploring and read up on it. A gist: distractions aside, students here are taught that “nothing stands in the way of their dreams,” and I 100 percent agree. This school has built in me confidence and has taught me to take advantage of every opportunity. Leadership remains to be the greatest advantage of attending an all-girls school, and the write-up highlighted this specifically, backing it up with survey statistics.

A refreshing take on the old Hockaday website, the new website promises prospective students and parents to gain a better understanding of an all-girls education and what it means to be a student at this school.

Commentaries are the expressed opinion of the author and do not necessarily reflect that of The Fourcast staff, its adviser or any member of the Hockaday community.