Hockaday Awards 2016 Founder’s Day Awards

Each year, Hockaday awards the Founder’s Award to a group of seniors that exemplify the Four Cornerstones with which Ela Hockaday founded the school: character, courtesy, scholarship and athletics. This year, the recipients were seniors Brianna Buford, Allie Charlton, Frances Burton, Catherine Jiang, and Hallie Gu. 

The Fourcast got exclusive interviews with each of the recipients after the Founder’s Award assembly.

1

Brianna Buford

What year did you begin Hockaday?

Sixth Grade

Describe yourself in three words.

Friendly, strong-willed and indecisive.

What’s your position on Student Council?

Senior Class President

What classes are you taking as a senior?

I am in BC Calculus, AP Biology, Latin American Perspectives, Civil War , AP Comparative Government , Literature of the American South and Contemporary American Literature.

Role Model?

I know this is cheesy, but honestly both my parents are my role models, but for different reasons. I admire my mom for the way she keeps everything together in my family because she just does so much for us and I strive to be as incredible as she is. I admire my dad because he has such an amazing work ethic and I definitely want to develop that to the fullest as I go off to college and into the working world. He literally built a successful company from the ground up and I think that’s incredible. They have both always believed in me from the very beginning and I want to make them proud.

What is a word of advice you have as you graduate high school?

My advice would be just to take everything one day at a time which is cliché, but it is so easy to get overwhelmed in high school especially during senior year throughout the college application process. Going along with that, I would say “don’t freak out until its time to” because I made a habit of getting stressed about the JRP and college things way before I needed to and in the end, it worked out and was not even that bad. I know it’s sometimes hard to enjoy high school, but it goes by so quickly so take advantage of seeing your friends every day because pretty soon, you will only see them once every few months.

College?

No, not yet, I’m still deciding.

Outside of the classroom, what do you like to do?

I serve as the co-president of the Black Student Union. I like to sleep and catch up on TV shows, but during long breaks I love reading books that I have been wanting to read for the longest, but haven’t been able to.

3

Allie Charlton

What year did you begin Hockaday?

Pre-kindergarten

Describe yourself in three words.

I don’t know how to answer this.

Community Service Board Chair

AP BC Calculus, AP Chinese, AP Econ (auditing), Creative Writing, Lit and Philosophy, Government, AP Comparative Government, AP Enviro and Orchestra.

Role Model?

I know it’s weird to have a role model that is your same age but I would have to say mine is my best friend from camp. We met only a few years ago but she looks at everything in a curious and positive way. She will not settle on accepting the normal which has really influenced me to do the same and constantly look for change. She pushes me to always grow and question everything around me.

Learn how to say no do good opportunities and say yes to great opportunities. It is really easy to over commit yourself in highschool and only give half your effort to each thing. Find what you are passionate about and commit to that full heartedly. Doing things only for the recognition hold absolutely no value on your life.

College?

Duke in Durham North Carolina.

I was involved in after school sports, piano, and community service events for most of my high school so most nights involved those activities. I definitely enjoyed taking breaks and hanging out with my friends as well. I love everything about music! I spend hours on Spotify finding new bands and making playlists. I also love thrift shopping.

2

Frances Burton

What year did you begin Hockaday?

Fifth Grade

Describe yourself in three words.

Positive, active and witty because I really like puns.

Upper School Student Council President

I’m taking AP Chinese, AP Spanish Literature, AP Econ, Creative Writing, Classics, Yearbook, AP BC Calculus, AP Comparative Government and Spycraft.

Role Model?

I love my grade. Especially through Hockaday, growing up with them and being able to see everyone find themselves and excel in all their different passions. I feel like my grade has kind of become my role model. Everyone in their different facets brings so much to the table so you can see so much amazing in everyone around you.

Act the way you want to feel because positivity can take you places.

College?

I’m going to Vanderbilt. I’m thinking about political science and computer science which is a really weird combination but I’m going to try to make it work.

I run cross country and track. I was cross country, soccer and track captain and manager of the soccer team. I’m the co-president of the Wesley Rankin Teen Board with Allie Charlton.

5

Catherine Jiang:

What year did you begin Hockaday?

Seventh Grade

Describe yourself in three words.

Optimistic because I like to smile a lot. Joyful or happy. Idealistic. For academic council, I would do things that maybe don’t seem possible, but I would push for them.

Academic Council President

Classics of Western literature, AP Econ, AP Physics C, Multivariable Calculus, Fourcast, AP Latin and orchestra.

Role Model?

Malala Yousafzai because she’s very tenacious and persistent in fighting for women’s education rights.

Sometimes school can be stressful, but the biggest thing I’ve learned is to take your mind off the stress, live in the moment with your friends and classmates and really appreciate the time you have with them because it all goes by so quickly.

College?

Stanford. I like science and business. I’m thinking about majoring in science and minoring in management.

I play the cello in the orchestra. Fencing. I’m the fencing captain. I founded a non-profit called Discere Aude. I also am the Web Editor of the Fourcast website and am into Latin competitions.

4

Hallie Gu

What year did you begin Hockaday?

Freshman

Describe yourself in three words.

Friendly because I try to be nice to everyone. I work really hard. I like to think I’m a fun person to be around.

Student Diversity Board Chair.

AP French, Yearbook, AP English Lit, Spycraft, AP Econ and Multivariable Calculus.

Role Model?

Katie Payne ‘14. She was the SDB chair. I really look up to her because she was always articulate and passionate.

It’s going to be busy and college applications can get really stressful, but make sure you reach out to your amazing support system. Use that support system and really cherish the time you have together because this is the last year.

College?

I’m going to UPenn. I’m going to be studying business at Wharton. I’m thinking about finance and marketing.

I’m also co-president of math club. I’m co-president of orchestra and I do science olympiad. I swim for Hockaday. I like to chill with my friends. Movies and stuff are cool. I like to exercise. I do kickboxing and yoga with my roommate outside of school.

– Maria Harrison – Asst. Perspectives Editor