What You May Have Missed in Dallas Professional Sports

Dallas Cowboys

After a rather lackluster 4-12 season, where the Dallas Cowboys lost their quarterback Tony Romo and their number-one wide receiver, Dez Bryant, within the first three weeks of the season to injury, Jerry Jones and the rest of the staff decided to draft more offensive players, opposed to the 2015 NFL Draft, where all but one player was a defender. On April 28 in the first round of 2016 NFL Draft, the Cowboys drafted running back Ezekiel Elliot from the Ohio State University with the number four pick. In addition to Elliot, they drafted Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith in the second round. While Smith tore his ACL during the 2016 Fiesta Bowl and is not projected to play during the 2016 season, Elliot is expected to start and have an immediate impact on the Cowboys’ offensive power once the regular season begins on September 11 against their division rival, the New York Giants.

Dallas Mavericks

The Dallas Mavericks finished the regular season with a record of 42-40, clinching the sixth seed in the Western Conference. In the first round of the playoffs the Mavericks faced Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and the Oklahoma City Thunder. In Game One of the best of four series, the Thunder blew out the Mavericks, 108-70, as a result of no Mavericks player, with the exception of Dirk Nowitzki, scoring more than eight points. Game Two of the series saw the Mavericks barely beat the Thunder on a second too late buzz beater by Thunder center Steven Adams. The Mavericks ultimately lost the series in five games on April 26. On May 2, Nowitzki, the face of the franchise, opted out of the final year of his contract, although he plans to resign with the Mavericks and ensure that once the 37-year-old power forward decides to retire, he does so in a Dallas jersey.

Texas Rangers

After a controversial in Game Five of the American League Division Series at the completion of the 2015 MLB season, the Texas Rangers retained the majority of the players from their division winning roster last season. After having to sit out all of last season due to Tommy John surgery, pitcher Yu Darvish is expected to return to the mound by the end of June after completing rehabilitation starts at the Double-A affiliate Frisco Roughriders. The Rangers had a record of 21-16 when on May 15 during a game against their league rival Toronto Blue Jays second baseman Rougned Odor punched Blue Jays right fielder José Bautista. This incident incited a bench-clearing brawl that resulted in the ejection of Odor, Bautista, Blue Jays third baseman Josh Donaldson and Rangers bench coach Steve Buechele. In the aftermath of the brawl, the MLB suspended Odor for eight games and Bautista and Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus for one game. As of May 18, the Rangers are in second place of the AL West, only one game and a half behind the Seattle Mariners.

Dallas Wings

On July 21, 2015, the Tulsa Shock announced their plans to move from Oklahoma to Dallas, becoming the Dallas Wings upon the start of the 2016 WNBA season. The Wings are the first WNBA team to call Dallas home and are lead by former college standouts, Skylar Diggins and Odyssey Sims. On May 14 the Wings opened their season with a win against the Indiana Fever. Forward Plenette Pearson lead the Wings in scoring with 17 points, while Sims followed close-behind with 14 points. The Wings play their home opener at College Park Center at the University of Texas at Arlington against the San Antonio Stars on May 21.

Dallas Stars

Upon the completion of the regular season, the Dallas Stars—led by Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn—secured both the best record and the number seed in Western Conference. The Stars opened the playoffs at home on April 15 against the Minnesota Wild, winning Game One by a margin of 5-0. Even without the appearance of Seguin, one of the team leaders in points throughout the regular season, for the majority of the playoffs, the Stars defeated the Wild in five games, advancing to the second round of the playoffs. In the second round, the Stars faced the St. Louis Blues. Once again, Benn took control of the ice, leading to the team throughout the games. After splitting the series 3-3, the Blues and the Stars faced off in Game Seven on May 12. The Blues scored three quick goals in the first period and never stopped, ultimately winning the game 6-1 and eliminating the Stars from the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

– Katie O’Meara – Photo and Graphics Editor –