Ms. Day speaks to Hockaday students as well as other students in the Dallas area as part of her role to involve Hockaday students in the community and lead them to fulfill their purpose.
A day with Ms. Day
Sarah Moskowitz and Melinda Hu May 19, 2024

How did you get your start in social impact? Day: Out of college, I decided to do a year in a program called The Jesuit Volunteer Corps. It...

Lone Star Royalty Q&A
Lone Star Royalty Q&A
Lang Cooper May 17, 2024

What initially interested you in beauty pageants? Roberts: When I was six I joined the Miss America Organization. This program is for girls...

Branching Out During Break
Jessica Boll, Web Editor in Chief • May 16, 2024

Instead of lazily lounging by the pool this summer, taking advantage of an academic break is the best usage of the months when we don't have...

Senior Splash Day
Senior Splash Day
May 13, 2024

Winter Formal: Save the Date

Dear Heidi,

How do I decide who to ask to Winter Formal?

Sincerely,

Who to Choose

Dear Who to Choose,

There is truly no right or wrong approach when it comes to asking someone to Winter Formal. Inevitably, I have had my fair share both of good and slightly uncomfortable dates over my four years of going to dances.

But I will tell you this: ask someone you actually want to ask! I know you’re probably going to read this and think “Well…duh.” But you’d be surprised how many people don’t follow this simple rule of thumb.

When I was an underclassman, I often felt pressure from people around me to ask a certain person out of convenience or “politeness.” But I’m going to tell you frankly, this dance is about you, not about your date.

For example, many people feel an obligation to take their homecoming dates. If you are one of those people, I say go for it … as long as that person is truly the one you want to go with. If not, please do not feel guilty for wanting to go with someone else this time around.

Homecoming is all about what the guys want. They get to pick their date. They get to pick how their night is going to look. However, Winter Formal is for us. So why shouldn’t we allow ourselves the same courtesy?

At the end of the day, it’s all up to you. I reiterate, there is no perfect way when it comes to this process. I personally have found myself asking people over the years for a variety of reasons.

Whether you have a special someone in mind or just a friend who you’re super comfortable around, the decision is yours. No matter what you do, just make sure it’s for you and not anyone else.

Looking back on my Winter Formal experiences, I don’t really have any regrets when it comes to my date choices. If you are here all four years of Upper School, you have four choices. While it may not seem like it now, each one is pretty fleeting.

Basically what I am advising you to do is to enjoy the dance. Go with someone you like, someone you love being around, someone who will make this experience memorable. Don’t worry about the rest.

Best,

Heidi

– Heidi Kim – Views Editor –