CitySlicker: Long Weekend Life

Beginning with an early release on Friday, Feb. 10, students will embark on their three day winter break, a well-deserved vacation before the exam’s frenzy. From must-go events to fun excursions and workout activities, Fourcast maps out your ultimate guide on how to make the most of the upcoming long weekend.

Photo by Aurelia Han

Dallas Mavericks vs. Orlando Magic on Feb. 11

2500 Victory Ave.

Dallas, Texas 75219

Whether you are a die-hard basketball fan or just wanting to be on the jumbotron, snag some last minute tickets starting from $10 on StubHub to see the Dallas Mavericks play Orlando Magic. Although the Mavs lost their last game to Magic by a mere 8 points, come out to the American Airlines Center on Feb. 11 at 8 p.m. to see if our team can change the scores up and, hopefully, raise its rank in the Western Conference.

Photo by Shreya Gunukula

Hamilton Pool

24300 Hamilton Pool Rd. Dripping Springs, Texas

Take a day trip to the Hamilton Pool Reserve, the remains of a collapsed dome, 23 miles west of Austin, Texas. This natural, stunning pool is a great place to relax, take pictures and enjoy a wholesome day with your family or friends. Because of its popularity, the pool attracts hoards of people, so have another activity planned for the day before you make your drive, or just take a chance. It’s worth it.

Photo by Aurelia Han

Toasted Coffee + Kitchen

5420 Ross Ave.

Dallas, Texas 75206

Whether you want to catch up with some friends or just have some quality alone time, Toasted is the perfect spot to just relax and rewind from the hustle and bustle of school. It’s one of the few coffee shops in Dallas that can accommodate large parties, so take advantage of this local gem. Their lattes pair great with light-afternoon treats like avocado toast or pumpkin bread. Nearby are plenty of restaurants like HG Supply Co. and Truck Yard if you are feeling hungry for a bigger meal.

Photo provided by Avery Bowers

Escape the Room

11661 Preston Rd #184

Dallas, TX 75230

Feeling adventurous? This game will make you feel like Upper School History Teacher (and ex-FBI agent) Tracy Walder—if you complete your task, of course. On their website, you can buy tickets for the scenario of your choice. Would you like to try to find some lost money in “The Agency”? Or perhaps you’d like to embark on a Indiana Jones-like mission in “The Dig.” No matter what you choose, the game will keep you on your toes and will leave you satisfied.

Photo provided by Shirley Che Photography

City Surf

2805 Allen St. #113

Dallas, Texas 75024

From spin to pilates sessions, workout classes are all the craze at the moment. However, City Surf, at its three locations in the DFW metroplex area, offers the most unique class of them all. Within 45 minutes, this high-intensity workout includes surf-inspired cardio moves that demand both strength and balance on the board. At the end, you sweat, you laugh and you have an awfully good time. Use promo code NOBADDAYS for $10 off an introductory offer on www.citysurffitness.com. No previous surfing experience is needed to test the waters!

Photo provided by Linda Blasé

Junie B. Jones Show 

5938 Skillman St.

Dallas, TX 75231

Your favorite childhood series is back in this rendition of “Junie B. Jones is Not a Crook” performed by the Dallas Children’s Theatre (DCT). Taking it back to the heyday of Lower School when Barbara Park’s beloved Junie B. ruled the aisles of our library, this play is perfect for the whole family and great for every age. Showings are every Saturday through Feb. 26 at the Baker Theatre, with a special sensory-friendly performance on Feb. 18 at 1:30 p.m.

Shreya Gunukula – Asst. Web Editor

Aurelia Han – A&E Editor

Cheryl Hao –  Asst. Web Editor