Boarder Line

Boarder+Line

At Hockaday, boarding has four different halls, each with a dorm mom. Lead Dorm Mom Vicki Palmer gave the Fourcast a sneak peak into the life of a dorm mom during the week.

7:45-8:15 a.m.: Palmer wakes up at 7:45 a.m., then makes sure that all the boarders are awake or if anyone needs anything in the hall she’s in charge of—Upper Morgan.

8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.: This is Palmer’s free time when she can go off campus to run her errands, go to doctor’s appointments, meet a friend for lunch or even go see a movie. However, sometimes Palmer has to attend meetings on campus, or she likes to stay on campus and rest in her apartment. “The time goes by really quickly,” Palmer said.

4-6 p.m.: Palmer helps transport the boarders at this time if they want to run errands, go to Fat Straws or other activities they’d like to conduct in the evening.

6-7:15 p.m.: During this time, Hockaday serves dinner for the boarders and the dorm moms.

7:15 p.m.-12 a.m.: After dinner, most boarders go to the library for study hall. Palmer assists students if they need help with their homework, then she makes sure that all students are in bed at a reasonable hour.

12-7:45 a.m.: Each dorm mom sleeps in an apartment at the end of their hall. The one-bedroom apartments are equipped with a full-sized kitchen. Five years ago, Palmer became the first dorm mom to live on campus, but now all dorm moms each have an apartment on campus. Her roommate is a six-pound Maltese dog named Sugar. Palmer usually goes to sleep at 12 a.m. so that she can be ready for the next day.

How would you describe your job?

I like to think about it like I’m a professional mother. We try to step in for these moms who can’t be here.

What’s your favorite part?

Getting to know these girls. I always wanted a daughter, but I was blessed with one son. Now, I have 74 daughters. I tell people to be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.