Conversations about conservation
Conversations about conservation
Sophia Lou, Staff Writer • February 20, 2024

Junior Cassidy Golden and her APES class trek through the forest, observing the switchgrass, yellow Indian grass, little blue stem, and big blue...

Aadhya Yanamadala and Shifa IrfanJanuary 25, 2024

Women in Finance: A History  It can be perceived that women have historically been pushed out of the financial world. However, that notion...

Deborah Monahan and Maria Cendejas pose for a photo in the midst of the chaos of their day.
Wonderful Women in Maintenance
Melinda Hu and Sarah MoskowitzJanuary 22, 2024

When walking into Hockaday each morning, we are lucky to be surrounded by the impeccable cleanliness of our facilities and buildings. Kathy...

Junior takes the digital SAT.
Switching up the SAT
December 15, 2023
Graphic by Carys Braun 25
Pour Choices
December 15, 2023

Four Ways to Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month in Dallas

From Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, across the United States people observe National Hispanic Heritage Month as a time to embrace and highlight cultures from Latino countries around the world.

This period was selected in the 1980s because Sept. 15 marks the first day of independence for five Latin American countries: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. Additionally, Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence just days after, on Sept. 16 and Sept. 18.

Because Dallas is home to over 1.7 million people who are ethnically Hispanic, there are an array of ways to celebrate this month. Here are some of the highlights:

1. Texas Rangers vs. New York Yankees Hispanic Heritage Night

When: September 9, 2017; 7:05 PM

Where: Globe Life Park (1000 Ballpark Way, Arlington, TX 76011)

Price: $28+

As one of the Ranger’s last theme nights, they are hosting Hispanic Heritage Night on Sept. 9 to kick off a month of celebration for the hispanic culture. With vendors and music before the game, both sports enthusiasts and foodies will have plenty to entertain them with! Plus, the first 500 fans to purchase their ticket will win a free t-shirt!

2. Ballet Hispánico

When: Sept. 15, 2017 – Sept. 16 2017; 8:00 PM

Where Moody Performance Hall (2520 Flora St, Dallas, TX 75201)

Price: $25+

Witness the fusion of Latin dance with classical and contemporary techniques at the Moody Performance Hall the weekend of Sept. 15. With Latino choreographers representing Venezuela, Cuba, Trinidad, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Spain, Brazil, Argentina and Colombia, the show has been constructed to highlight the subcultures within Latino culture. Get tickets here to secure your spot. 

4. A Conversation and Tribute to Trini Lopez

When: Sept. 23, 2017; 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM

Where: Latino Cultural Center (2600 Live Oak St, Dallas, TX 75204)

Price: Free

The Latino Cultural Center will be hosting Dallas native and international household name Trini Lopez for a conversation and tribute exhibition in late Sept. Having grown up just miles away in the historical neighborhood of Little Mexico, Lopez’s goal is to share about his life and career. With upbeat 60s hits such as “La Bamba” and “If I Had a Hammer,” the crowd is bound to be large, so reserve your seat by calling 214-671-0045.

5. Hispanic Heritage Salute

When: Sept. 16, 2-17; 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM

Where: Grand Prairie Farmers Market

Price: Free

Enjoy fresh food, fun music and Hispanic culture in Grand Prairie on Saturday, Sept 16. Grocery shop and celebrate at Market Square with mariachi music from the Grand Prairie Fine Arts Academy for a bright start to a Saturday morning!

Story by Emily Fuller – Arts + Life Editor

Photo Provided by Wikimedia Commons