Picassos in the Making: Lower School Art Exhibit

With Hockaday’s multitude of talented artists in the Upper and Middle School, lining their sculptures and watercolors up and down the halls, one may forget their humble, Lower School origins.

From Nov. 2 to 27, in the Ann Bower Gallery, the Kindergarten and Primer class will present their homemade artwork for the enjoyment of the Hockaday students, faculty and visitors in the “From the Studio” exhibit.

As the ninth class presenting their art work and the second in the new art gallery, the young students have yet to see their artwork in its full glory, but the pieces’ eye-popping colors and daring modernism has caught the eyes of many passing students.

“The girls love to see their artwork on display,” Lower School Art Teacher Christina Brandt said. “They are astonished and it gives their art an importance, because [the gallery] is just an amazing space.”

The girls drew inspiration from fellow artists, memories, family members and their observations. They were also encouraged by Brandt to exude their individual creativity.

“They get to use their own creativity with the materials they use. I just teach them quick lessons about techniques, and then they are on their own,” Brandt said.

One of the pieces displayed in the exhibit features a rainbow made by kindergartener Nora Petrikas. She created it using watercolors last month. She was inspired by seeing a rainbow at her ranch in Paris, Texas. While she has not seen her painting in the gallery, her mother took a picture of it and showed her.

“It made me feel fun and special,” Petrikas said.

The girls work on their artwork from anywhere from minutes minutes to two class periods, and use various materials such as watercolors, paint, string and the crowd-favorite, clay.

“Clay is definitely the most popular, but you don’t see many clay sculptures in the exhibit because the student usually take them home,” Brandt said.

If you have the chance, stop by the exhibit to catch a glimpse of some masterpieces by Hockaday’s budding Picassos.

Photos and story by Kate Woodhouse and Paige Halverson