The Varsity coxed quad with their coxswain from The Nobles School.
Web Exclusive
Fast Waters
Elizabeth Truelove, Sports Editor • November 30, 2023

Crossing under Elliot Bridge, senior Caroline Stevens and her other boatmates listen to the mass of spectators watching above, hearing the cowbells...

One of the outdoor classrooms used by the conservation biology class
Web Exclusive
Hands-On Bio Exploration
Jessica Boll, Staff Writer • November 30, 2023

The new conservation biology class, piloted by Jessie Crowley, focuses on learning different biology concepts through hands-on learning.  “Kids...

Web Exclusive
Debate goes the distance
Anya Aggarwal, Staff Writer • November 30, 2023

Hockaday debate students hosted the 46th annual Debate Invitational Nov. 9-11 with close to 800 participants in attendance.   The Ed Long...

Juliet, played by Ava Shipp, begs her mother, played by Saxon Mosely, to stop her impending marriage.
A Timeless Tragedy
November 30, 2023

And from Lower School: Music

The Fourcast’s Business Manager Morgan Fisher asked Lower School music teacher Sabrina Kessee about receiving the Next Generation Music Professional Award.

Q: Tell us about your involvement in music and the arts throughout your life?

A: Outside of music in church, my mom would do some local things and I would sing with her, and I did choirs in elementary in middle school. I went to Booker T. Arts Magnet [Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts] and studied music there, then I got my music degree from Fiske University and University of North Texas. I’ve just done music ever since.

Q: When did you decide to start teaching music in the Lower School?

A: When there was a job available. I was at first a Kindergarten teacher, and I love to teach reading, and of course while teaching reading I added music to teach them how to spell. Then I got an opportunity to work with a school in Carrollton and through that I was introduced to Hockaday by working with the gospel choir in Upper School. While I was here, they had an opening in the lower school. I’ve been here for 15 years.

Q: Can you tell me about your experience with the Gospel Choir?

A: I love that it’s such a diverse group of people who love to make gospel music and have such a good time. We go to a lot of different places in town and out of town, of course. We went to ISAS and other festivals and we’ve been on TV. It’s been really fun. It’s a good time for girls to come together, it’s like their downtime but they feel uplifted too if they may be struggling with tests or papers. I love that they can come together and feel better.

Q: What was it like to receive the Next Generation Music Professional Award?

A: That was really cool. I knew that it was coming, I just didn’t realize it was such a big deal. When I was posted about on social media I thought that it was really neat. When I got the award they had these hall of fame people that got other awards, and these were people that I’ve looked up to since I was really little. So to be included in a line-up of people I watched as I grew up, I felt really honored and like I didn’t deserve to be there.

Q: What you say to young girls aspiring to have a career involved in music?

A: I would say to honor the love and the passion of music, and if that’s something you want to do, do it. I know a lot of times there’s the thought of ‘maybe I should be a doctor, maybe I should be a lawyer, maybe I should do something lucrative like that’ but if you love music or you love kids or helping people love music or learn music then follow that. I am a happy person because I love music and I do music,especially because I do it here.

Story and photo by Morgan Fisher, Business Manager