Conversations about conservation
Conversations about conservation
Sophia Lou, Staff Writer • February 20, 2024

Junior Cassidy Golden and her APES class trek through the forest, observing the switchgrass, yellow Indian grass, little blue stem, and big blue...

Aadhya Yanamadala and Shifa IrfanJanuary 25, 2024

Women in Finance: A History  It can be perceived that women have historically been pushed out of the financial world. However, that notion...

Deborah Monahan and Maria Cendejas pose for a photo in the midst of the chaos of their day.
Wonderful Women in Maintenance
Melinda Hu and Sarah MoskowitzJanuary 22, 2024

When walking into Hockaday each morning, we are lucky to be surrounded by the impeccable cleanliness of our facilities and buildings. Kathy...

Junior takes the digital SAT.
Switching up the SAT
December 15, 2023
Graphic by Carys Braun 25
Pour Choices
December 15, 2023

Second Graders Learn to Go Green with All Green Club

On Nov. 30, second graders gathered in their classrooms at 2:40 p.m. to attend a session held by the Hockaday All Green Club on the subject of air pollution. The presentation involved an informational PowerPoint created by the club members and an air pollution simulation activity. During the activity, the club members called out human activities that contribute to air pollution, like showering or riding a car. Meanwhile, the second graders were instructed to add a drop of food coloring into their respective cups of water if they have recently done said activities. In the end, the girls each poured their cup of water into a bucket that represented the environment.

The All Green Club launched this initiative with their faculty sponsor, Director of Service Learning Laura Day, during the 2017-2018 school year. This was their third session since their first in the fall of 2017. All Green Club President Riyana Daulat believes that raising awareness for air pollution in the younger girls can help alleviate the effects of climate change.

“We can all make a difference in however way we can. I think empowering them that they can make a change is really important,” Daulat said.

PHOTOS:

1. All Green Club President Riyana Daulat and Vice President Susan Zhang present a visual simulation of air pollution to the second-grade class.
  2. At the end of the presentation, the club members remain to answer questions from the second graders.
  3. During the PowerPoint, second-grade girls eagerly raise their hands to ask questions and contribute to the discussion on air pollution and climate change.
  4. Two second-grade girls prepare to add yellow food coloring into their cups of water for the air pollution simulation activity.
  5. At the end of the simulation, the second graders pour their colored water into the bucket held by Daulat. The muddled water in the bucket represents the effects of air pollution on the environment.

Story and Photos by Michelle Chen