Every Can Counts" />

Every Can Counts

Photo provided by Salvation Army website

Every November, the Community Service Boards at Hockaday and St. Marks sponsor a food drive benefitting the Salvation Army. Students bring in an assortment of canned foods to help supply families in need with a thanksgiving meal. Ranging from macaroni and cheese to peanut butter, Hockaday alone collects over 1380 cans of food each year (an average of 23 cans from each middle and upper school advisory). In accompaniment with St. Marks, the combined donations total over a ton in weight.

“We get to work with the largest branch of the Salvation Army, which is always exciting, it’s a great cause.” Says Lisa Day, head of community service.

Founded in 1865, the Salvation Army works with people across the globe and lives up to their slogan “doing the most good” by helping nations in crisis as well as people suffering from hunger on thanksgiving.

“The food drive enables us to help everyone have something to be thankful for on Thanksgiving. It’s so easy for us to help, and many advisories contribute more than one box of food,” says Allie Freeman, a member of the community service board.

With the deadline for donations on Monday, this weekend will be students’ last chance to participate. They are encouraged to help someone in need this fall and contribute to the food drive.

– Molly