Every Can Counts" />

Ms. Day speaks to Hockaday students as well as other students in the Dallas area as part of her role to involve Hockaday students in the community and lead them to fulfill their purpose.
A day with Ms. Day
Sarah Moskowitz and Melinda HuMay 19, 2024

How did you get your start in social impact? Day: Out of college, I decided to do a year in a program called The Jesuit Volunteer Corps. It...

Lone Star Royalty Q&A
Lone Star Royalty Q&A
Lang CooperMay 17, 2024

What initially interested you in beauty pageants? Roberts: When I was six I joined the Miss America Organization. This program is for girls...

Branching Out During Break
Jessica Boll, Web Editor in Chief • May 16, 2024

Instead of lazily lounging by the pool this summer, taking advantage of an academic break is the best usage of the months when we don't have...

Senior Splash Day
Senior Splash Day
May 13, 2024

Every Can Counts

Photo provided by Salvation Army website

Every November, the Community Service Boards at Hockaday and St. Marks sponsor a food drive benefitting the Salvation Army. Students bring in an assortment of canned foods to help supply families in need with a thanksgiving meal. Ranging from macaroni and cheese to peanut butter, Hockaday alone collects over 1380 cans of food each year (an average of 23 cans from each middle and upper school advisory). In accompaniment with St. Marks, the combined donations total over a ton in weight.

“We get to work with the largest branch of the Salvation Army, which is always exciting, it’s a great cause.” Says Lisa Day, head of community service.

Founded in 1865, the Salvation Army works with people across the globe and lives up to their slogan “doing the most good” by helping nations in crisis as well as people suffering from hunger on thanksgiving.

“The food drive enables us to help everyone have something to be thankful for on Thanksgiving. It’s so easy for us to help, and many advisories contribute more than one box of food,” says Allie Freeman, a member of the community service board.

With the deadline for donations on Monday, this weekend will be students’ last chance to participate. They are encouraged to help someone in need this fall and contribute to the food drive.

– Molly

&url=https%3A%2F%2Fhockadayfourcast.org%2F%3Fp%3D1970" title="Share on X" target="_blank"> Share on X Print this Story