Finding new ways to share art

Processed with VSCO with hb1 preset

Students are turning to social media to promote all art forms, including photographs, paintings and drawings. These accounts allow young artists to display their work to people around the world and spread creativity. 

Maddie Fisher @maddiefisherart

Junior Maddie Fisher created her art account, @maddiefisherart, at the beginning of April. Fisher started the account to enter an art contest for the brand Hard Jewelry on Instagram. As Fisher’s passion for art grew, her Instagram account became the easiest way for her to share her artwork with the public.

“It’s a way for me to share what I’m passionate about with my friends and family and hopefully inspire them to try something new,” Fisher said.

Some of Fisher’s posts include paintings of her Rolling Stones piece, the Hard Jewelry logo, an astronaut painting and a portrait of Gustav Elijah Åhr, known professionally as Lil Peep. Her favorite post is a portrait of rapper Rakim Athelaston Mayers, known professionally as ASAP Rocky, which took her about 15 hours to finish. 

Fisher creates her pieces using acrylic paint and/or colored pencils. 

Jade Nguyen @artbyjade

Junior Jade Nguyen created her art Instagram account, @artbyjade, last year to showcase her multitude of art forms, such as photographs and paintings. Her passion for art stems from the peace and tranquility that art gives her.

“I love art because it is such a great way for me to slow down and appreciate beauty,” Nguyen said. “Time stops for me while doing art, and it is such a good break from my busy lifestyle with school and everything else.”

Nguyen’s favorite post is a painting of a small town in Venezia, Italy that she completed throughout quarantine. She spent over six hours per day for a week on this work of art.

I wanted to dedicate a painting to Italy and everyone who was going through the coronavirus pandemic,” Nguyen said. “It was so relaxing and amazing to delve deep into passions that I have neglected for so long.”  

Other notable posts include a photograph of villagers selling fresh fish in Vietnam, a portrait drawn from imagination and a photograph of strangers in the busy streets of Hanoi, Vietnam. 

Nguyen used Arteza acrylic paints on an Arteza stretch canvas. She uses brushes from Crafts 4 All on Amazon. 

Amber Li @entitae

Freshman Amber Li started her art account @entitae in 2018 to share her love for art and to integrate herself into the art community. 

I remember choosing my username based on the word ‘entity,’ as I believed the works I’ve created each have their own life and story,” Li said. 

Li creates traditional art pieces with mediums such as oil, paint and watercolor, and also enjoys creating colorful pieces with Prismacolor pencils and markers.

Story by Sasha Schwimmer, News Editor

Photos provided by Maddie Fisher, Jade Nguyen, Amber Li