Upper school teachers’ final words

Along with the many missed traditions and opportunities caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, this year Hockaday students will miss saying goodbye to some of their favorite teachers. While some teachers plan to retire, others seek new adventures in Dallas and across the country. Here, the Fourcast commemorates their time at Hockaday with linked videos sharing their favorite memory. 

Kirsten Lindsay

After 16 years teaching in the science department at Hockaday, Mrs. Kirsten Lindsay plans to teach Physics and Engineering Design and Innovations at Ursuline Academy of Dallas, seeking a new adventure in the Dallas community. “I am looking forward to meeting new friends, teaching new (some old) courses and inspiring new students,” Lindsay said. 

Caroline Harris

Though Upper School history teacher Dr. Caroline Harris joined the Hockaday community only last year, next year she will be returning to California where most of her family lives. She will teach both at a Bay Area independent school and at a rural public university as a part-time professor while her husband studies play therapy at graduate school. “It’s bittersweet to leave such a lovely community and miss out on the opportunity to dig deeper with all of you,” Harris said. “At the same time, I am excited for this unexpected move to Napa, California.”

Joni Palmer 

Mrs. Joni Palmer, assistant head of Upper School,  joined the Hockaday community in the fall of 2012, teaching AP Economics, World History, United States Government, Breaking the Glass Ceiling: Economics and Social Entrepreneurship and Introduction to Journalism. This July, she will begin work as the Assistant Director of Accreditation and Special Projects of the Independent Schools Association of the Southwest (ISAS), supporting the more than 90 schools who are members of the association. “It is certainly bittersweet to leave Hockaday; I have truly loved the relationships I’ve built in this community, and yet I am extremely excited by the opportunity to support students, teachers, and administrators at all of the ISAS member schools,” Palmer said.

Jeanne Olson

After 13 years at Hockaday, Coach Jeanne Olson, Head Athletic Trainer, will retire. Olson has served as Head Athletic Trainer, Travel Coordinator for Athletics and has taught physical education for Lower and Middle School throughout her 13 years.  “I am really looking forward to my retirement and being at the lake with family and friends,” Olson said. “Thank you to everyone in the Hockaday family for making a difference in my life.” 

Story by Laine Betanzos, Copy Editor

Photos provided by Caroline Harris, Kirsten Lindsay, Joni Palmer and Jeanne Olson