New school, new challenge

Geier sits on one of the bed in the training room, prepared to help students. Photo by Graydon Paul

Caroline Petrikas, Staff writer

An interest in sport medicine drew Jeff Geier, Hockaday’s New Director of Sports Performance and Medicine, to athletic training, but his passion for athletics and helping athletes made him stay.

“My favorite part [of training] is seeing the excitement that athletics can bring to the student-athletes,” Geier said.

Following Head Athletic Trainer Jeanne Olsen’s retirement at the end of the 2019-2020 school year, the athletic department hired Geier. He comes to Hockaday after 14 years at Episcopal School of Dallas.

“It was time to take on a new challenge,” Geier said. “I’m excited to meet the students, start sports and get familiar with the department.”

Geier’s journey as a trainer began when he was certified 25 years ago at Texas Christian University where he received his Bachelor’s of Science in Fitness Promotion with a minor in Athletic Training. After graduating, he worked at Nebraska Wesleyan University in Lincoln, Neb. Then, in 2006, he transferred to the Episcopal School of Dallas where he served as the Head Athletic Director.

Student athletes said they are excited about working with a new trainer and the new prospects that come with it.

“I’m definitely going to miss Coach Olsen, but I think it’ll definitely be good to have a new start, too,” Junior Student Trainer Emily Estes said. “Hopefully he can help us get more involved during the games and in general.”

Senior and Cross country captain Inez Johnson said she hopes Geier can continue to build on Olsen’s legacy.

“Coach Olsen set a strong foundation for the training department and hopefully as a new face Geier can build upon that and improve the department,” Johnson said. “I think it will strengthen the relationship between cross country and the trainer because being a good athlete doesn’t only mean training hard, it means recovering hard, too.”

Sophomore Ambyr Baker said she was excited to see what Geier has to offer.

“I hope he has more specific care for each athlete and is available for players participating in their sport both in and out of school,” Baker said.

Geier said the opportunity to add strength and conditioning oversight to his job description was appealing, but he has always found it satisfying to help athletes overcome injuries.

“Challenges that may arise with an injury or rehab or things like that really interest me and make me think,” Geier said, “and make me find the pieces of puzzle to make it all line up and get the athlete back on the field.”