Barbenheimer brings brilliance

The release of Barbie and Oppenheimer has movie watchers flooding theaters

Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” and Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer” took over theaters last summer.

Coming out July 21, both movies quickly surpassed their individual global box office ticket sale predictions. “Barbie” has made over $1.38 billion, while “Oppenheimer” has made over $910 million. In total, the two have made over $2 billion worldwide. Social media quickly created the phrase Barbenheimer when referencing the two movies.

Following the Barbenheimer trend, senior Hayden Marchant watched both movies, picking “Barbie” as her favorite.

“I liked “Barbie” more because it really funny, had a really good soundtrack, had actors that I liked, and it was very applicable and relatable,” Marchant said.

Her views on “Oppenheimer” were not quite the same.

“As much as I love Christopher Nolan, I think he’s done better movies,” Marchant said. ““Oppenheimer” was maybe for a different, older crowd. I’m not sure why some people think they are similar.”

Although she has not seen “Barbie,” junior LIlly Snadon had a great appreciation for “Oppenheimer.”

“I thought it was really great way to learn about the history,” she said. “The movie was so engaging and visually appealing that it was really easy to stay focused.”

Snadon, only confused by the time jumps in the beginning of the movie, began researching the “Oppenheimer” storyline after watching the movie.

“I really want to go see it again on an IMAX big screen now that I know so much more about it,” she said.

Sophomore Fendley Obert, a “Barbie” enthusiast, has seen the movie twice and is anxiously awaiting her third viewing of the film.

“I was not expecting “Barbie” to have as deep of a meaning as it did, but the directors did a really good job,” Obert said.  “I think when anything becomes a social media trend, it encourages people to watch the movie. TikTok and other media presences influenced me to go see the movie.”