International Festival
Current Events
International Festival

Current Events

Shining through the Shadows

Ariana Grande’s new but nothing special album
Republic Records

Ariana Grande, known for her ethereal vocals and chart-topping hits, has once again captured the hearts of fans with her latest album, “Eternal Sunshine.” Released March 8, this highly anticipated album draws inspiration from the poignant film 2004) that weaves a narrative of love, loss and self-discovery. The album’s 13 tracks, including the popular single “yes, and?” which made the US Billboard Hot 100 Chart, showcase Grande’s exceptional songwriting and vocal range.

The album’s first songs provide an introspective tone, with Grande questioning the nature of her failed relationships and the path forward. Tracks like “bye” and “don’t wanna break up again” delve into the emotional complexities of heartbreak and healing, with subtle references that may relate to her marriage and eventual separation from Dalton Gomez.

Grande also alludes to finding new love in “the boy is mine,” which may refer to rumors that the singer is now with “Wicked” co-star Ethan Slater. I found this song most striking with its unique beat, especially when the remaining songs tend to blend together, as I couldn’t always tell when one song ended and another began.

One standout track, “yes, and?,” addresses public scrutiny and judgment, resonating with fans but also receiving criticism for its commercial appeal compared to the album’s deeper tracks.

As the album progresses, Grande continues to explore the nuances of love and loss, culminating in the hauntingly beautiful “we can’t be friends.” The accompanying music video, featuring actor Evan Peters and scenes reminiscent of “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” further amplifies the album’s thematic elements and Grande’s creative vision.  Grande directly recreated scenes like erasing her memories of a person with Brighter Days Inc.— Grande’s version of Lacuna Inc. from the movie.

“Eternal Sunshine” is a solid addition to Grande’s catalog, showcasing her growth as an artist and her ability to connect with audiences on an emotional level. While not her strongest effort overall, it is a commendable album that highlights Grande’s continued evolution in the music industry.