International Festival
Current Events
International Festival

Pre-K Circus
Current Events
Pre-K Circus

Winter Season Wrap-up

Hockaday winter athletes reflect on their seasons leading up to SPC

As the winter season comes to an end, it is time to recap the highlights of our 2023-2024 Winter sports season. From our soccer, basketball, swimming and diving teams, here is a complete rundown of the memories, challenges and successes of the winter sports teams.

Soccer sets up for success at SPC

As the three-time reigning SPC champions, Varsity Soccer has had an impressive winter season. Their team slogan, “Big Reputation,” hints at their SPC history. They have competed in ten games this season, winning over 90% of their total games, and all their home games. Their most notable win ended 9-0 against Oakridge on Jan. 30. The team has a record of 55 goals scored this season and is on a winning streak, thanks to their hard work and lead scorers senior Jaden Thomas and junior Annabel Callahan.

HVS practices every day of the week, and attends lifts every Monday and Friday morning. Their lifts vary from sprints, footwork, and endurance-based drills to lifts and workouts in the fitness center. Players are held to a high standard of athleticism and work together to train to perform their best. Coach Skaife, head HVS coach, focuses on drills that incorporate the whole team, so the players know how to communicate and work together when it comes to games.

“We are working really hard at all of our practices and games to put our best effort towards SPC,” sophomore Kaitlyn Adams said. “It is really important to us to carry on the legacy and win another championship.”

Basketball braces for upcoming tournaments

Basketball has had 12 games so far, with a record of 7-5.

“Coach Moss keeps us on a tight schedule, so we are productive in improving our skills and keeping up with conditioning,” sophomore Rabel McNutt said.

With five freshmen on the roster, the team is determined to improve their skills and expand their abilities.

“This year we have started watching our film after every game to see what we need to work on,” senior captain Ashna Tambe said. “We also watch lots of film from playing other teams to decide how to defend them before games.”

Two additions to the team this year are new Head Basketball Coach Lauren Moss and Assistant Coach Devin Darnell.

“We have a great team dynamic on and off the court, seeing as the majority of our players are freshman has helped us become a lot closer as a team,” McNutt said.

Swimming season recap

After competing in five meets this season, Hockaday’s Varsity Swim Team has become closer and improved their skills.  During those, many members of the team have found much success in their times and achievements. While they are not competing, the swim team spends hours practicing at the Hockaday pool. Their practices often begin with swimming 400 yards, followed by many 50 yards laps. They all practice together and typically practice strokes unless a meet is coming up, in which they practice diving into the water. The team also spends much time getting together to bond. Their bonding includes team dinners at Torchy’s Tacos, and two events hosted at senior captain Margaret Thompson’s house.

“At the beginning of our season we had a white elephant party and we also decorated holiday cookies,” said sophomore swimmer, Anya Tewari.

Diving reflects on season as a team

Although diving has yet to attend a meet, the Varsity Diving team has worked all season during their practices and lifts Mondays through Saturdays. Before entering the pool, the team does many ab and cardio exercises along with stretching. Then, they all practice different dives. Every person on the team has learned at least one new dive this season, senior captain Avery Clarke said. The team practices all season, and they are currently working on finalizing lists for what they are going to compete in during SPC. With five returning divers, the team has grown since last year. They have begun focusing on perfecting techniques at this point in their season. With all of this effort being put into diving, the team spends lots of time together away from practice.

“We are very close knit, like a family,” said sophomore diver Abby Snyder. “Lots of times we have breakfasts after Saturday morning practices at Chick-fil-a or First Watch.”

The team hopes that everyone will come together to support diving during SPC, whether they are in the stands, in the pool or cheering from home.

“I know everyone is capable of so much, so I hope they can stay confident in their abilities and perform how they do in practice at SPC,” Clarke said.

Overall, their season has been about hard work, determination and coming together as a team.

All Winter SPC competitions will be hosted at various schools in Houston Feb. 8-10. Make sure to stay updated on Hockaday’s Instagram accounts (@hockadayathletics and @hockadayhypewomen) for more information on how to support our teams in the upcoming championships.