Ms. Day speaks to Hockaday students as well as other students in the Dallas area as part of her role to involve Hockaday students in the community and lead them to fulfill their purpose.
A day with Ms. Day
Sarah Moskowitz and Melinda Hu May 19, 2024

How did you get your start in social impact? Day: Out of college, I decided to do a year in a program called The Jesuit Volunteer Corps. It...

Lone Star Royalty Q&A
Lone Star Royalty Q&A
Lang Cooper and Mary Bradley Sutherland May 17, 2024

What initially interested you in beauty pageants? Roberts: When I was six I joined the Miss America Organization. This program is for girls...

Branching Out During Break
Jessica Boll, Web Editor in Chief • May 16, 2024

Instead of lazily lounging by the pool this summer, taking advantage of an academic break is the best usage of the months when we don't have...

Senior Splash Day
Senior Splash Day
May 13, 2024

Exciting Summer Excursions!

Change your summer routine with these fun activities!

Every summer, like most teenagers, I make a bucket-list of all the things I want to do during break. However, they usually all look the same, with ideas like taking a road trip, seeing a concert and watching movies with my friends. This year, though, I am determined to find activities that are unique and exciting. 

The first thing on my newly improved bucket list is: a sunflower farm. In Trenton, only an hour drive from Hockaday, you can find a 1.5-acre field of fully bloomed sunflowers. The Little Sunflower Farm offers a “whimsical” greenhouse full of sunflowers, vegetables, honeybees, butterflies, and beautiful decorations. This activity is sure to be Instagram or even Pinterest worthy, perfect for a fun day trip. They recommend coming during golden hour, around 5 to 6 pm, as the greenhouse sits directly in line with the sun and has floor to ceiling windows. Fully bloomed in June, these sunflowers are a perfect summer activity to switch up your routine, and hopefully get some cute photos. 

The next activity I’m adding to my bucket list this summer is blueberry picking. This, like the sunflower farm, is a fun, outdoor activity where you can live out the inner cottage-core girl of your dreams. Located right by the tulip farm, Blase Family Farm is in Rockwall and run by a family business. This blueberry farm opens in late May and stays open until July. Their farm grows 1,600 blueberry bushes and six different types of berries. They also sell homemade popsicles, fudge, soap and jam. They post updates about the farm status on their website and Facebook. This popular location is the perfect way to spend a warm summer day with your friends or family. 

Moving away from farms, the next activity is co-owned by Tiger Woods and can be found in The Colony at Grandscape. PopStroke is a short 20-minute drive from Hockaday. It features two 18-hole putting courses with on-course service. There is a full-service restaurant, ice cream parlor, playground, outdoor gaming, TVs and jumbotrons. What makes this place unique though, is the app they use to track your game. You can compete with people, follow your score and order food and drinks from anywhere on the course. Whether you’re good at golf or not, this mini-golf experience is sure to create lasting memories with friends and family! 

Fireside Surf, also in The Colony, is a great way to get all the adventure and fun of surfing without leaving Texas. All you do is step on the board, and expert surfboard riding coaches will guide you and make sure you stay safe. This experience also includes food and poolside drinks so friends and family can watch. Different from other surfing experiences, Fireside has surfers begin their lessons standing up and then drop directly into the water. They also have deep water wave pools, a training playground and a surf-themed restaurant. Perfect for a hot afternoon, Fireside Surf presents a unique opportunity to try something new and have some fun!