Ms. Day speaks to Hockaday students as well as other students in the Dallas area as part of her role to involve Hockaday students in the community and lead them to fulfill their purpose.
A day with Ms. Day
Sarah Moskowitz and Melinda HuMay 19, 2024

How did you get your start in social impact? Day: Out of college, I decided to do a year in a program called The Jesuit Volunteer Corps. It...

Lone Star Royalty Q&A
Lone Star Royalty Q&A
Lang Cooper and Mary Bradley SutherlandMay 17, 2024

What initially interested you in beauty pageants? Roberts: When I was six I joined the Miss America Organization. This program is for girls...

Branching Out During Break
Jessica Boll, Web Editor in Chief • May 16, 2024

Instead of lazily lounging by the pool this summer, taking advantage of an academic break is the best usage of the months when we don't have...

Senior Splash Day
Senior Splash Day
May 13, 2024

Branching Out During Break

Instead of lazily lounging by the pool this summer, taking advantage of an academic break is the best usage of the months when we don’t have school. Due to tight schedules during the school year, students are unable to fully explore different areas of interest. The summer months provide the perfect solution to this, enabling students to proactively seek opportunities for growth through summer classes, camps and internships.  

Rising sophomores can complete semester courses at Hockaday, which gives more opportunities for students to take an interdisciplinary course or add a free period during the next school year. Additionally, students in different grades can take advantage of the extra free time and learn course material ahead of the upcoming school year to lessen the load. 

As high schoolers, exploration is key to discovering our interests and possible paths for our future careers. Summer internships and camps can provide an immersive experience, and sometimes paid, in those specific fields. For example, if a student is interested in the medical field, several opportunities exist for them to shadow professionals in hospitals.  

For students used to the hustle of high school, the onslaught of unscheduled time can be stressful, so an academic summer provides an opportunity to build up a consistent routine while keeping school topics fresh in mind. 

While having fun and relaxing during the summer is important, making the most of the months away from mandatory instruction allows for both accelerated growth and opportunities to improve in the future.