Thankful Thinking" />

Conversations about conservation
Conversations about conservation
Sophia Lou, Staff Writer • February 20, 2024

Junior Cassidy Golden and her APES class trek through the forest, observing the switchgrass, yellow Indian grass, little blue stem, and big blue...

Aadhya Yanamadala and Shifa Irfan January 25, 2024

Women in Finance: A History  It can be perceived that women have historically been pushed out of the financial world. However, that notion...

Deborah Monahan and Maria Cendejas pose for a photo in the midst of the chaos of their day.
Wonderful Women in Maintenance
Melinda Hu and Sarah Moskowitz January 22, 2024

When walking into Hockaday each morning, we are lucky to be surrounded by the impeccable cleanliness of our facilities and buildings. Kathy...

An anniversary to remember
An anniversary to remember
December 15, 2023
Junior takes the digital SAT.
Switching up the SAT
December 15, 2023
Graphic by Carys Braun 25
Pour Choices
December 15, 2023

Thankful Thinking

One of the wonderful things about the holiday season is that the long break gives everyone a chance to reflect, to contemplate the aspects of her life for which she is grateful.

“I say thanks that I have the opportunity to be thinking about college,” senior Laura, who keeps a gratitude journal, said, “I say thanks for the fact that it’s finally cold and for three more days of classes and for friends and family and all the love in my life.”

This time of year, Laura is not the only one giving thanks for her joys. Everyone has at least a couple moments to stop and be grateful.

“I’m thankful for family, friends, the privileges to have a home and go to Hockaday,” freshman Jane said, “The main thing for me is the entire experience I’ve had at Hockaday so far, since this is my first year. People have been really friendly and welcoming, and the whole school is just wonderful.”

With these responses in mind, I thought about what I was grateful for. Like Laura and Jane, I am thankful for my family and my friends, for my home and my education, for my health and my well-being. I am thankful for my liberty, for the freedoms I have because of when and where I live. I am thankful for good books no matter the season, but during the winter, I am especially thankful for sweet clementines and hot tea.

So, having read our lists, for what do you say thanks during the holiday season? Comment with your suggestions below.

– Kay