Girls Gone Green" />

Girls Gone Green

LEAN GREEN MACHINE After grabbing Pinkberry and other snacks from vendors in Hicks Meeting Room, students headed to Penson Gym to shop in the Vintage Mobile, a new edition to the EnviroFair. Photo by Caitlin

The Environmental Club spruced up the annual Environmental Fair this year with several changes and new additions

April 2, 11:20 a.m.—outside Hicks, at least 20 girls form a queue to buy tickets. Girls steadily drift in and out, possibly a Caribbean Passion smoothie from Jamba Juice or cheeseburger from Elevation Burger in hand. At 11:30 a.m., teachers and students alike strut eco-friendly fashion down the runway. By 11:35 a.m., the live music of guitars strumming, keyboards banging and drumsticks tapping echo throughout the three floors of the ARC. The annual Keen on Green EnviroFair is in full swing.

This year’s EnviroFair took place during a new time slot, conference and lunch. In previous years, it was held after school. In addition, new businesses and performances entertained the increased number of Upper Schoolers that attended. Although other schools were invited to the fair in the past, this year the EnviroFair was for just for the Hockaday community.

“I’d rather have a fair for all of Hockaday,” science teacher and Environmental Awareness Club sponsor Kirsten Lindsay said. She explained that the fair is more accessible and fun for girls when they can come during lunch time without having to rely on after school schedules. “We’ve never really had a lot of students from other schools come,” Lindsay added.

Since the Environmental Awareness Club started six years ago, it has been hosting the EnviroFair to educate the community about the environment. Every year they have solicited outside vendors to present their products at Hockaday, bringing the entire local community into the effort to make Hockaday ‘greener.’ This year the club chose Jamba Juice, Pinkberry, Zoë’s Kitchen and Elevation Burger.

While Hockaday has had food vendors in years past, clothing was a new edition to this year’s fair—the Vintage Mobile bus arrived on campus for the first time ever.

“The clothes are recycled, they’re used. We buy the clothes from thrift stores…The biggest way that we’re environmentally friendly is that we are not increasing the demand for new clothes to be made,” Vintage Mobile co-owner Jeremy Turner said.

The Enviro Club selects a new theme each year. This year’s theme “Women in the Environment” allowed a broader range of booths to participate. Student-led booths included the Human Rights Committee, the Boarder Garden, and senior Giovanna’s eco-friendly craft station.

During the fashion show, the audience recognized various faces: Hockaday’s own teachers–history teachers Colleen Durkin, Tracy Walder and Lucio Benedetto, science teachers Murry Gans, Jennifer Stimpson and Leon de Oliveira and Director of Health Curriculum Rebekah Calhoun–and students strutted eco-friendly fashion down the catwalk.

“It was fun and I enjoyed learning about the eco-friendly clothes, and the vintage ones,” EnviroFair model sophomore Dalton said. “I felt a little awkward on the stage, but since it was just my friends in the audience, it wasn’t too bad.”

From Abi Ferrin’s fair trade clothing to junior Natalie Sampson’s handmade outfits, to Buffalo Exchange’s “Recycled Fashion,” this year’s runway was entertaining to watch and conscious of the environment.

The Goodwell Walkaways, a newly-formed junior and senior Hockaday band, brought a fresh performance to the fair. Members seniors Allie, Catherine and Abby and junior Natalie  sit together in their Business French class, where they founded the band. Heck, also an Enviro Club Officer, pitched the idea of performing at the EnviroFair.

“We soon realized that we actually had to learn songs becausewe actually had to perform,” Hicks said. The band successfully did so, playing a total of five songs, including Bon Iver’s “Skinny Love” and MGMT’s “Kids.”

Judging by the crowd’s applause and cheers, the Goodwell Walkaways learned their parts. From Pasquinelli’s voice and guitar to Souryal’s piano to Heck’s drums and even Hicks’ “exotic instruments,” the songs were a hit.

“I thought their performance went really well,” sophomore Hannah said. “I really liked the songs!”

– Emily