Hockaday Girls Prepare to Change the World" />

US Powder Puff
US Powder Puff

Hockaday Girls Prepare to Change the World

Junior Abigail is passionate about history, politics and languages.

“History has always been my favorite subject,” she says. “I think it’s so much fun to learn about major and minor events and to see how they’ve changed history.”

After taking United States Government and AP Comparative Government at Hockaday, junior Abigail recently discovered that she wants to go into foreign relations.

“I want to work abroad, possibly with other countries’ governments,” Abigail says. She sees herself in a position where she could be deeply involved in America’s impacts in other places around the world.

“Our relationships with other countries have become increasingly important with globalization and improved communication and technology, and I want to be a part of the action,” she says. “The world is so diverse and I love learning more about the different governments and cultures.”

Due to the snow days, Hockaday cancelled the annual Hockaday Alumnae in the Arts assembly scheduled for Feb. 2. Abigail was disappointed because the theme of the assembly was “The Art of Diplomacy.” Anne Woods Patterson ’67, Jeanne L. Phillips (Hockaday parent and member of the Board of Trustees), and Pamela Pitzer Willeford ’68 had planned to speak at the assembly.

Patterson is an American diplomat and career Foreign Service Officer. She also served as United States Ambassador to the United Nations in 2005 and as United States Ambassador to Pakistan.

Phillips is the senior vice president of corporate affairs and international relations for Hunt Consolidated, Inc. She takes on many responsibilities including managing all activities relating to local, state, and both national and international governmental affairs.

Willeford was the United States Ambassador to Switzerland and Liechtenstein between 2003 and 2006.

Abigail is not the only student at Hockaday who was looking forward to the speakers.

Sophomore Cassie has long dreamed of a career working with different countries.

“I wanted to be a diplomat when I was little,” she says. “I am interested in issues related to globalization and environmental work. My dream is to explore biodiversity in the Amazon Rainforest.”

Senior Isabel also plans to go into foreign relations.

“[Foreign relations] is what I want to major in,” Isabel says. She hopes to “one day work in the state department.” Last year, Isabel spent her spring semester studying at the School for Ethics and Global Leadership in Washington D.C.

Colleen Durkin, who teaches government classes at Hockaday, has high hopes for students like Abigail, Cassie and Isabel, who plan for diplomatic and political careers.

“Whether Hockaday grads go into foreign relations to save the environment, feed the hungry, teach those eager to learn, negotiate peace resolutions, or simply speak for those without a voice, I truly believe that the world is a better place with [Daisies] in leadership positions.”

—Lizzie