Ringing in the New Year" />

Ringing in the New Year

If you’ve been guilty of sitting on the couch alone on New Year’s Eve and watching the ball drop in New York’s Time Square and an endless number of couples kiss at midnight on TV, never fear. Be prepared to add a pinch of fun and a dash of crazy to your New Year’s Eve celebrations.

DO IT YOURSELF

Loved 2012? Hated 2012? Who cares! Make a scrapbook of all your 2012 memories while waiting to make more memories in 2013. It’s an enjoyable way to reminisce on your year. Plus, make other DIY crafts: party hats, noisemakers, “Happy New Year” garlands, silvery streamers and, of course, 2013 sunglasses. Don’t forget the confetti, and have it all ready by midnight to celebrate. At least you’ll be throwing some kind of a party in front of your TV.

Illustration by Katie

GIRLS’ NIGHT IN

Have a slumber party. Build a blanket fort. Do you have running list of movies you want to watch? Watch them. Munch on popcorn (Orville Redenbacher’s Pop-Up Bowl is highly recommended), make an ice cream milkshake and roast some s’mores. Play typical sleepover games like Truth or Dare, complain about your failing love lives and throw popcorn at the screen every time a couple kisses on TV. New Year’s with your gal pals is so much more fun.

HAVE A BALL

Literally. You get to be just like Cinderella! She partied till midnight and then left. Honestly, what other holiday involves a celebratory (or not, at least for Cinderella) strike of midnight? Hang up lights, maybe a disco ball and dance the night away. It’s the perfect excuse to splurge on a frilly ball gown—don’t forget the sparkling crown—and force your boyfriend into a tuxedo and bowtie. Drink sparkling apple cider from champagne glasses and nibble on some caviar. Company is optional.

CHOCOLATE FONDUE

Justin Bieber likes “Chillin’ by the fire while we eatin’ fondue” and so will you. You can dip almost anything into chocolate fondue and it will taste good. Try fruit (strawberries, bananas, apples, pineapple chunks, maraschino cherries, coconut balls) but also try dipping pretzels, marshmallows, popcorn, pound cake and macaroons into the chocolate. Indulge because this is guilt-free. Bieber will definitely want to be your boyfriend now.

A NEW YEAR EVERY HOUR

Dallas isn’t the only city on earth! Starting at 9 a.m. Central Time Zone on New Year’s Eve, it’s already New Year’s in Tokyo. Throw confetti, blow your noise horns and gulp down another glass of apple cider at the strike of every hour. Print out a giant map of the earth, color it with crayons (welcome back to Pre-K) and as the day approaches Jan. 1, 2013, mark off each city’s New Year you celebrate. Now you have a reason to party all day long, and of course you should celebrate: it’s 2013! No 2012 apocalypse!

JAR OF THOUGHTS

Most people don’t follow the New Year’s resolutions they set for themselves at the beginning of every year. Instead, try this: beginning at midnight on New Year’s Eve, fill an empty jar with scraps of notes about good things that happen over the course of the oncoming year. On New Year’s Eve next year, empty the jar and read all the great things that happened in 2013.

-Tiffany