Advisory Food Gawker: Downey" />

Conversations about conservation
Conversations about conservation
Sophia Lou, Staff Writer • February 20, 2024

Junior Cassidy Golden and her APES class trek through the forest, observing the switchgrass, yellow Indian grass, little blue stem, and big blue...

Aadhya Yanamadala and Shifa Irfan January 25, 2024

Women in Finance: A History  It can be perceived that women have historically been pushed out of the financial world. However, that notion...

Deborah Monahan and Maria Cendejas pose for a photo in the midst of the chaos of their day.
Wonderful Women in Maintenance
Melinda Hu and Sarah Moskowitz January 22, 2024

When walking into Hockaday each morning, we are lucky to be surrounded by the impeccable cleanliness of our facilities and buildings. Kathy...

An anniversary to remember
An anniversary to remember
December 15, 2023
Junior takes the digital SAT.
Switching up the SAT
December 15, 2023
Graphic by Carys Braun 25
Pour Choices
December 15, 2023

Advisory Food Gawker: Downey

Dr. Katherine Downey’s junior advisory takes pride in its healthy eating habits. The Downey girls said the healthy habits started after their sophomore year, otherwise known as the year that they ate a bag of popcorn every day.

Although slightly embarrassed about the “messiness” of their food stash, the girls are proud of what’s in it. Photo by Alexis

Advisory member Katie believes that if they eat a good breakfast in the morning, eating food in advisory isn’t necessary and doesn’t really help. She said that she eats advisory food “once in a blue moon,” and when she does it is usually healthy food. Although their food does consist of items such as popcorn, Cheez-its and coffee from their very own coffee maker, the popcorn is hardly ever touched and the girls tend to lean more towards to foods like pita chips and peanut butter (advisory favorites). They tend to steer clear of chips and cookies.

But no matter the food, it usually only takes a few days for it be gone, and then, advisory member Caroline said, they just yell at someone until she brings food or wait for someone to, “out of the kindness of their heart,” bring some in.

Despite their best efforts, the girls could not get the weekly/bi-weekly assigned food system to work and instead settled with a general free-for-all. Although slightly embarrassed about the “messiness” of their food stash, the girls are proud of what’s in it.

-Alexis