A New Level of Competition

A New Level of Competition

Studio Art and Photography submit to top-ranking art competitions

WORK OF ART Sophomore Katherine proudly displays her toothpick sculpture  at the exhibition. Photo by Noor
WORK OF ART Sophomore Katherine proudly displays her toothpick sculpture
at the exhibition. Photo by Noor

Hockaday’s Studio Art and Photography programs are stepping up their game for some of the most highly-esteemed national art competitions. Recently, photography students submitted to the Goss-Michaels Foundation, while Studio Art students submitted to the Art of Architecture Competition.

The Goss-Michaels Foundation, located in Dallas,  is one of the many national galleries in America. Established in Dallas in 2007, this foundation seeks to “educate, engage and inspire audiences” through an exhibition of the visual arts, including sculptures, paintings and photography. The gallery primarily displays the art of British contemporaries. The foundation showcases the work of the winners of the competitions it holds in a separate educational department, which features a resource center as well as a library.

Photography teacher Janet Yoshii-Beunger encourages her students to submit to these competitions. It helps them understand the process of submitting work and adhering to deadlines.

“It’s a good experience,” she said. “All of the work submitted isn’t by [my doing]. It’s all about the girls and their talent.”

Along with the awards and prizes that students receive from this organization, the Goss-Michaels Foundation offers internships for juniors and seniors interns. These interns help with the office work and guide visitors through exhibits. These internships motivated many students from Hockaday to submit to this competition.

Studio art students, however, submitted work to the Art of Architecture Competition, run by the Dallas Center for Architecture in collaboration with the American Institute of Architects. It is a juried exhibition for the Dallas area middle and high school artists. It strives to preserve the cultural heritage of American society at large. The jury is made up of architects, artists, museum professionals and art collectors. The criteria for those who wish to compete is to depict a three-dimensional space to convey to the viewer.

Studio Art teacher Juliette McCullough discovered the Art of Architecture Competition last year and was fascinated by the concept of displaying architectural work, a very different sort of competition criteria. She was impressed by the venue and found it interesting that the artwork was judged by a group of professional architects.

“I think that it is a great opportunity for us to show [more of our] analytical artwork in a very professional setting,” McCullough said.

Three Hockaday  winners of the Art of Architecture Competition attended a reception and awards ceremony on April 7. Senior Maille received the drawing award, junior Julia the printmaking award and sophomore Katherine the 3D award.

Katherine’s inspiration came from McCullough’s daughter, Franceska’s toothpick sculptures.  While  McCullough was out of town in the beginning of the year, her daughter came to sub and showed some of her work to the class. Katherine was inspired by the adventures and innocence of childhood from Franceska’s sculpture.

Katherine found the reception ceremony to be neat and a nice way of presenting the awards, including the other winners’ pieces.

“There was lot of really cool work,” she said. “I was very excited to be honored among so many great art pieces.”

The Art of Architecture Exhibition ended May 3 at The Dallas Center for Architecture.

-Noor