Pre-K Circus
Pre-K Circus

Hockaday Hosts Fine Arts Building Fundraiser

The Hockaday Capital Campaign is a fundraising effort which supports teaching excellence, financial endowment and facility improvements, according to Director of Development and External Affairs Kathy Limmer.

When senior Madison Kaminski heard about the plans for a renovation of the fine arts facilities at Hockaday, she was inspired to action. As a member of several Hockaday choir ensembles and a performer in Hockaday musicals, she felt the personal importance of the developments. She recognized that students like her should be able to voice their opinions on the subject, especially to help raise money for the new facilities, and as such she is chairing the Spotlight on the Arts showcase.

She’ll use this opportunity to represent the student body and give them voice in the capital campaign. “The people most affected by the new building will be the students and they haven’t been able to give their own opinion about the importance of it,”  Kaminski said.

The event provides an opportunity to learn about of all the Fine Arts at Hockaday: choir, dance, photography, debate, visual arts, ceramics, drama, and even the improvisation troupe.

Dance instructor Beth Wortley compares this event to an arts fair. “There will be a coffee house kind of deal in the auditorium, improv troupe in the black box and choir performances in the choir room,” Wortley said.

The event will start off with introductions by each fine arts department chair. Then performances and presentations by these departments will follow. Once the performances finish, attendees will have the opportunity to ask the department chairs questions about their programs.

Aside from showing the student support for the fine arts, Spotlight on Fine Arts will showcase the new and current fine arts facilities.

According to Limmer, “This event will help get the word out about Hockaday’s initiative, thanks to the generous support of our community.”

The event will take place in several parts of the fine arts building including Hoblitzelle Auditorium, the Black Box Theater, the choir room and Purnell Gallery. The fundraiser starts Thursday night at 6 p.m.. For more information about the event, email Madison Kaminski at [email protected].

-Claire Fletcher