Ms. Day speaks to Hockaday students as well as other students in the Dallas area as part of her role to involve Hockaday students in the community and lead them to fulfill their purpose.
A day with Ms. Day
Sarah Moskowitz and Melinda HuMay 19, 2024

How did you get your start in social impact? Day: Out of college, I decided to do a year in a program called The Jesuit Volunteer Corps. It...

Lone Star Royalty Q&A
Lone Star Royalty Q&A
Lang CooperMay 17, 2024

What initially interested you in beauty pageants? Roberts: When I was six I joined the Miss America Organization. This program is for girls...

Branching Out During Break
Jessica Boll, Web Editor in Chief • May 16, 2024

Instead of lazily lounging by the pool this summer, taking advantage of an academic break is the best usage of the months when we don't have...

Senior Splash Day
Senior Splash Day
May 13, 2024

Not Horsing Around

Not Horsing Around

Sophomore Raney Sachs devotes her free time to volunteering at Equest Therapeutic Horsemanship

TAKING THE REINS Sophomore Raney Sachs leads a rider in the indoor arena at Equest. Photo taken by Carol Battalora

We all find a way to get a break from school sometimes. Some girls catch up on Netflix. Others go for a run. Sophomore Raney Sachs, however, spends her free time as a volunteer at Equest Thera­peutic Horsemanship.

Sachs had been riding horses for 11 years when she learned about Equest Therapeutic Horsemanship from her riding instruc­tor three years ago. Equest offers equine-assisted therapy and rehabilitation for children and adults with physical, cogni­tive, emotional and learning disabilities. Sachs now travels to Equest once a week to work with an assigned rider and horse. Sachs believes that her ex­perience as a volunteer at Equest has helped her gain a perspective on life—includ­ing school—she didn’t have before.

“The riders are focusing on obstacles that are signifi­cantly more imposing than my pre-calculus homework,” Sachs said. “[It’s] so inspiring, and [it] makes all of my own obstacles feel a lot smaller and inconsequential.”

With each therapy ses­sion, Sachs notices the rid­ers “progressively improve.” At Equest, the riders develop physically, in areas such as in muscle tone and motor coor­dination skills, and psycho­logically. The self-confidence and “positive attitude” that the riders acquire improve their familial and social in­teractions as well.

“They are struggling with and overcoming is­sues like being able to stand upright, keep their balance and communi­cate their feelings,” Sachs said. “[Those are] abilities that we often take for granted.”

Sachs worked with one rider, Leah Battalora, for a year from 2012 to 2013. Battalora, 18, is autistic.

Battalora’s mother, Carol Battalora, believes working with Sachs was a “positive and fun experience” for her daughter. “It was awesome for [Leah] to work with a peer who was patient and calm,” Carol Battalora said. “[Sachs] allowed [Leah] to care for and handle her horse, and [she] listened to Leah’s many stories about Katy Perry and current events in her life.”

Sachs no longer works with Battalora; however, Sachs still sees her at Equest on a regular basis.

Sachs describes the staff members as patient and kind with both the riders and the volunteers. “The staff and in­structors are amazing,” Sachs said. “They have an incred­ibly hard job, but they do it really well.”

Equest Director of Vol­unteer and Intern Services Ellie Grant believes that the volunteers like Sachs get as much or more out of Equest than they put in.

“There’s something so special about being a part of that team,” Grant said. “As a volunteer, you are able to work with both the horse and the rider and to bring changes into the rider’s life. Knowing that you made a difference in a life, there’s nothing more rewarding.”

Sachs and Battalora are examples of the relation­ships that the riders and the volunteers develop at Equest.

“Being a part of that struggle and watching the riders rise above all of the challenges life has thrown at them is a really incred­ible experience that I am so grateful for,” Sachs said.

Equest caters to riders with over 24 disabilities and learning differences, like ADD/ADHD, Autism Spec­trum and Cerebral Palsy.

Founded in 1981, the 48—acre Equest campus in Wylie, Texas, provides indoor and outdoor riding arenas, horse stalls, housing and special­ized treatment facilities. Its staff of certified instructors, physical therapists and occu­pational therapists provide services to more than 150 in­dividuals in over 447 sessions annually.

Equest’s mission is to “empower, enrich and edu­cate through horses.”

“[Equest] is such a differ­ent environment from every­thing else in my life,” Sachs said. “I’m really lucky I get to be exposed to it.”

– Faith Isbell