Alumna Runs for Dallas County District Judge

Staci Williams ’77, one of Hockaday’s first black graduates, is making headlines. 

DEMOCRAT DAISY Staci Williams ‘77 will face her first primary in February of next year. Photo provided by Staci Williams

Williams is running for Dallas County Dis­trict Judge of the 101st District. She began her campaign no more than two months ago and is already busy in preparation for the first primary in February 2014.

Williams has come a long way since her days as a daisy. After graduating from Hockaday, Wil­liams received her J.D. from Georgetown University. She then tried to find work as a lawyer in Dallas. Howev­er, most law firms were seg­regated at the time. But her Hockaday education helped her persevere.

“At Hockaday, there is a great sense of competition, and you learn that you have to work hard to be the best,” Wil­liams said. “I didn’t let [the seg­regation] discourage me. I kept striving to be the best no mat­ter what.”

After several years of find­ing and changing jobs, Wil­liams finally opened her own private law firm in Dallas: The Law Office of Staci Williams. Recently, she decided to begin her campaign for Dallas County District Judge.

Through all of this, Wil­liams strongly believes that the knowledge she gained at Hocka­day inspires her to this day.

Williams’ love for politics stems from her first U.S. History class. After that, she devoted her time to clubs like the Latin Club, Latin Honors Society and Junior Classical League.

“Getting involved was fun. But more than anything, I jwanted to make my school a better place,” Williams said.

This same philosophy car­ries over to her campaign. Wil­liams chose to run for office be­cause she “knew [Dallas] could do better,” and she believed that she could be the one to do it.

Influenced by Hockaday’s four cornerstones, Williams is running on a basis of ac­countability, approachability and affability. She wants the community to know that she is here to help.

“It is a privilege to be a judge, not a right,” Williams said. “This community is allowing you to serve them, so you need to be there for them because that is what they deserve.”

Williams’ campaign team thinks that with this belief, Williams will surely win and make a great district judge.

Young Democrats President Emily Yeh agreed that Williams would fit the role nicely and serve as a great female role model.

“I think it’s very important that we have women who stand for something and aren’t afraid of having a voice on such an in­fluential scale,” Yeh said.

As she works to gather sig­natures and supporters, Wil­liams sees her background, not only at Hockaday but in tirelessly fighting through oppression, as a large piece of what makes her so qualified for the position.

Williams is grateful that she was able to have such a “diverse, untraditional” experience and looks positively at her future.

“I wouldn’t go back or change my past for anything. It brought me where I am to­day and prepared me for this campaign,” Williams said. “I’m ready, and I think the people are too.”

– Alexis Espinosa