Students Question Snapchat’s Safety

After the hacking of the application, some question its privacy

Users can express their personalites through photos with text and doodles. Unlike text messages, which are permanent, users can send videos via Snapchat, which will disappear after just a few seconds. GRAPHIC BY CLAIRE FLETCHER AND MANISHA RATAKONDA
Users can express their personalites through photos with text and doodles.
Unlike text messages, which are permanent, users can send videos via Snapchat, which will disappear after just a few seconds.
GRAPHIC BY CLAIRE FLETCHER AND MANISHA RATAKONDA

For some Hockaday girls, this information is alienating, but it may not affect their use of the app.

This security breach showed the vulnerable nature of the application, as hackers were able to take important information from a multitude of users and sell it to adver­tising companies, according to NBC. The question that re­mains is whether or not the application is worth the safety and privacy risk.

For senior Augusta As­ton, her use of Snapchat has eclipsed her use of text mes­saging. “It’s really easy to use and much faster than texting,” she said. “I use it much more than texting because it says a lot more with less effort.”

Another bonus of snap­chat is that a single snapchat can be sent to one person or many people at once, and that a user doesn’t have to save the photos they take.

Aston is not alone in her love for Snapchat: statistics suggest that instant-picture messaging is the future of person-to-person virtual com­munication. TIME magazine reported that the average cell-phone user sends 628 text messages a month, which is 8 percent down from last year’s 708 per month.

But Snapchat has had a 600 percent increase in use of over the same period of time: its around 30 million monthly ac­tive users send around 400 mil­lion photos and videos a day.

Because of Snapchat’s widespread success, many be­lieve the app will not suffer for its hacking scandal.

“Once something is popu­lar with our generation, ev­eryone uses is it,” sophomore Sloane Castleman said. “I don’t really see people quitting just because of this incident.”

Director of Technology and Information Resources Jason Curtis acknowledged the application’s recent faults but still believes it to be just as safe as any other internet ap­plication used for social me­dia. For him, the only area of questionable safety is in the individual’s use.

“A car is neither safe nor unsafe while sitting on the lot. The safety of a vehicle is determined by drivers not by the vehicle itself, and I believe the same is true of most social media platforms,” Curtis said. “Safety is determined by the users’ choices, not by the me­dium that they use to exercise those choices.”

– Molly Montgomery