A Formal Perspective

A Formal Perspective

The 1989 “Night to Remember” dance was the very first Winter Formal. Originally called Christmas Formal, Hockaday’s winter Sadie Hawkins dance has been a tradition for many years. In its early years, separate dances were held for each form at Hockaday. Though these Christmas Formals have been transformed into all-Upper-School off-campus events, the Upper School Student Council has maintained its role as the main organizer of the dance. Fine Arts Department Chair Ed Long reminisces upon past Winter Formals.

Here Comes the Bride

OFF TO MOULIN ROUGE (left) Junior Nina Marientes ‘55 and her date Ross Love pose for a picture in the Class of 1955 Christmas Formal dance "Moulin Rouge," inspired by the real Moulin Rouge, a famous cabaret founded in Paris, France in 1889. The dance, located in the Great Hall, featured French posters and artworks decorating the walls. Photo provided by Schatzie Lee
OFF TO MOULIN ROUGE (left) Junior Nina Marientes ‘55 and her date Ross Love pose for a picture in the Class of 1955 Christmas Formal dance “Moulin Rouge,” inspired by the real Moulin Rouge, a famous cabaret founded in Paris, France in 1889. The dance, located in the Great Hall, featured French posters and artworks decorating the walls. Photo provided by Schatzie Lee

Fine Arts Department Chair Ed Long stood in front of the young couple. “I hereby pronounce you husband and wife,” he said, joining the couple before him in eternity. Fake eternity, that is.

As a part of the 1993 Winter Formal “Honeymoon in Vegas,” the Upper School Student Council asked Long to be the minister of a wedding chapel.

On one side of the dining room, Long, donning a clerical collar and a suit, composed a fake wedding ceremony and performed it for couples at an arch adorned with plastic flowers. Vegas is famous for its fast weddings, and Long took heed to this fact. Throughout the night, he married a new couple every 90 seconds. At first, Long was skeptical that the weddings would be enjoyable for anybody, but he was soon proved wrong, as a long line of couples formed.

Four years later, in 1997, the Vegas theme was replicated as “Viva Las Vegas” and was held at Hockaday. Long repeated his role as minister; however, he was more experienced the second time around.

Lights, Camera, Action

ON FIRE (above) The Class of 1955 dances at the 1953 Christmas Formal: "Fireman’s Ball." Held in Tarry House, the Fireman’s Ball was adorned with firetrucks, hoses and a large sun hanging from the ceiling. Instead of just bringing one date, students would invite several boys. For each dance, a boy would sign his name on a girl’s dance card, which were in the shape of a fireman’s ladder. If a young man wanted to “borrow” a dance, he would simply “cut in” by tapping on a girl’s shoulder. Photo provided by Schatzie Lee
ON FIRE (above) The Class of 1955 dances at the 1953 Christmas Formal: “Fireman’s Ball.” Held in Tarry House, the Fireman’s Ball was adorned with firetrucks, hoses and a large sun hanging from the ceiling. Instead of just bringing one date, students would invite several boys. For each dance, a boy would sign his name on a girl’s dance card, which were in the shape of a fireman’s ladder. If a young man wanted to “borrow” a dance, he would simply “cut in” by tapping on a girl’s shoulder. Photo provided by Schatzie Lee

Roll out the red carpet: The 1984 Christmas Formal Christmas in Hollywood set the stage for all to see.

The Council decorated the Great Hall in the form of a Hollywood movie screen premiere. Stations playing major Hollywood films, such as “Titanic,” were placed around the hall, and full-size movie posters were hung on the walls. One full-scale Klieg light—an enormous, round light used in moviemaking—was stationed on the steps of Hockaday leading up to the front of the school. The light could be seen shining across the sky for miles.

In addition, a red carpet was rolled across the steps and extended into the Great Hall, where the dance was centered.

When couples arrived at the steps leading up to the front of the school, flashes of light bombarded them as the paparazzi—well, actually, recruited eighth-graders—clicked away at their cameras.

Get a Clue

One year’s Winter Formal was based on the classic mystery board game, “Clue.” Members of the Student Council dressed up as the female characters from the board game, including Miss Scarlet, Mrs. White and Mrs. Peacock, while their dates dressed up as male characters, such as Reverend Green, Colonel Mustard and Professor Plum. Couples attending the dance dressed in black and white. The playing pieces of the board game—candlestick, knife, lead pipe, rope, revolver and wrench—served as the inspiration behind the decorations.

‘Tis the Season

Another year’s Winter Formal “Old Fashioned Christmas” tapped into people’s nostalgia for childhood. It featured remodeled trains circling the venue, village scenes with snow carpets and other images of childhood Christmas memories.

– Catherine Jiang and Erin Thomas