Ms. Day speaks to Hockaday students as well as other students in the Dallas area as part of her role to involve Hockaday students in the community and lead them to fulfill their purpose.
A day with Ms. Day
Sarah Moskowitz and Melinda HuMay 19, 2024

How did you get your start in social impact? Day: Out of college, I decided to do a year in a program called The Jesuit Volunteer Corps. It...

Lone Star Royalty Q&A
Lone Star Royalty Q&A
Lang CooperMay 17, 2024

What initially interested you in beauty pageants? Roberts: When I was six I joined the Miss America Organization. This program is for girls...

Branching Out During Break
Jessica Boll, Web Editor in Chief • May 16, 2024

Instead of lazily lounging by the pool this summer, taking advantage of an academic break is the best usage of the months when we don't have...

Senior Splash Day
Senior Splash Day
May 13, 2024

Winter Formal Approaches

Chair reveals details of this year’s annual dance 

There are 1,001 reasons to party at the annual Winter Formal dance on Feb. 22.

The “Arabian Nights” themed dance will feature plenty of camels, controlled up­lighting and drapery.

Winter Formal Chair se­nior Ashton Gillespie has been planning the dance since her appointment by the Upper School Student Council in Oc­tober. Her experience includes working part-time for Mathes & Company, an event planning firm, and organizing two wed­dings independently.

“I feel like in past Winter Formals, people have come and then gone to their after-parties,” Gillespie said. “I think this one’s going to be a place you stay.”

The venue, Park Lane Event Center, offers a wide open space and tall ceilings. There will be a separate coat check room for attendees to stow away their personal items. DJ André, a lo­cal DJ from the Ghost Bar, will provide beats. A texting option will allow guests to request songs via text.

A free arcade center with games such as Pac-Man and air hockey, as well as a full ca­sino and photo booth, will offer entertainment off the dance­floor. Everyone can indulge in the chocolate fountain, cake pops by Crème de la Cookie and candy bar (to make your own candy bag). Party favors will include iced cookies crafted by The Cookie Company.

Freshmen will arrive to the venue at 7 p.m. for a Medi­terranean cuisine dinner. The senior lounge will be draped so that it is two stories tall, ris­ing well above the dancefloor. Perks include couches with fun pillows and a special drink ex­clusive to seniors.

Winter Formal T-shirts are available for purchase at $22 for one and $40 for two in the Bookstore. Proceeds will help fund the dance.

The black tie-attire dance is from 8-11 p.m.; lockout is at 10 p.m. It is open to Hockaday Up­per School students, who may choose to invite a date from an­other school.

– Tiffany Le