Conversations about conservation
Conversations about conservation
Sophia Lou, Staff Writer • February 20, 2024

Junior Cassidy Golden and her APES class trek through the forest, observing the switchgrass, yellow Indian grass, little blue stem, and big blue...

Aadhya Yanamadala and Shifa IrfanJanuary 25, 2024

Women in Finance: A History  It can be perceived that women have historically been pushed out of the financial world. However, that notion...

Deborah Monahan and Maria Cendejas pose for a photo in the midst of the chaos of their day.
Wonderful Women in Maintenance
Melinda Hu and Sarah MoskowitzJanuary 22, 2024

When walking into Hockaday each morning, we are lucky to be surrounded by the impeccable cleanliness of our facilities and buildings. Kathy...

Junior takes the digital SAT.
Switching up the SAT
December 15, 2023
Graphic by Carys Braun 25
Pour Choices
December 15, 2023

A Day in the Life

A Day in the Life

The Fourcast takes a look into the life of receptionist Elsa Vela

PHOTO BY MEGAN PHILLIPS
PHOTO BY MEGAN PHILLIPS

5:45 a.m

I start my morning and that’s when I start getting ready for work.

7:00 a.m.

I arrive at work by 7 a.m., even though my starting time is not until 7:30 a.m.. Of course, I clock in at 7:30 a.m., but I like to get here early because I like to come in and kind of put my things away, put my desk calendar out and prepare my work area. I check my mailbox, and I’ll stop by the dining hall to get me a bite to eat for breakfast.

7:25 a.m.

The shift change begins, and I get an update from the security staff mem­ber. They’ll update me if there is any­thing I need to know before I take over at 7:30 a.m.. Once they’ve updated me with what’s going on for the morning, I log into the security system, which con­sists of the Raptor, the security cameras and the campus map. I’ll also log into our phone console where I answer all calls.

7:30 a.m.

That’s when all the fun begins. I come prepared every morning. I have to be on my toes the minute that I take over the front desk because I never know what the day is going to bring me. There are days that it’s an eventful day, and there are days that are not so eventful, but I have to be prepared for whatever comes my way. Being the face of the school at the front desk, I wear many hats.

Throughout the Day

All day long, nonstop, we have visitors, vendors, solicitors and parents. We have a little bit of everything. So, on any given day, we can have up to 61 plus guests who I greet, who I attend to, and I make sure they sign in and out. If they don’t have a badge, I have to scan their driver’s license in our Raptor system and provide a visi­tor badge for them. I give them directions if they are not familiar with the campus, or if they have an appointment, I have to contact the person [they are visiting] and let them know they are visiting and are waiting for them in the lobby. And, on any given day, I answer anywhere from 125 to 200 calls per day. And, that increases if we have a special event taking place.

11:45 a.m.

I eat lunch anywhere between 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. I grab my lunch tray, and I find a nice, quiet place away from everybody and anyone, and that’s just so I can recharge myself so that when I get back to the front desk, I am ready to take on the many tasks.

3:45 p.m.

I start putting away my stuff for the day, and I start tidying and cleaning up the front desk so that it will be ready for the next shift, which is security. I work very closely with them.

3:55 p.m.

[Security] come[s] up, and then I also give them an update of what’s going on, or if there’s anything that they need to do once I leave after 4 p.m., so that they know what to do or how to handle pack­ages or deliveries or what not.

4 p.m.

I go home and unwind for a little while. I put on my workout clothes.

6:30 – 7:30 p.m.

I do Zumba. Then, I stop and pick something up or I go home and fix me a small dinner, and then I just relax and listen to music or watch a little bit of TV. Then, I’m ready for a shower and bed.

9 p.m.

I used to [go to bed] really early, but now I try to be in bed by 9 p.m.

– Megan Phillips