On March 31, the first Hockaday Fashion Show took place in the Nancy A. Nasher and David J. Haemisegger Theater from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. The show was organized by juniors Varsha Danda and Emma Roseman and benefits the Akola Project and the Genesis Women’s Shelter. Hockaday students from kindergarten to 12th grade walked across the stage in clothes from Genesis and jewelry from the Akola Project. Before the catwalks began, the audience heard from Eugene McDermott Head of School Dr. Karen Warren Coleman, CEO of Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support Jan Langbein, Founder of Akola Project Brittany Merrill Underwood and FOX 4 News Anchor Heather Hays, all of whom came to support the show. Ivy Awino’08, who is currently the Dallas Mavericks’ Team DJ, provided music for the show. To learn more about the program, visit Hockaday Fashion Show’s official website.
- Junior Annalise Ashman strikes a confident pose on stage, wearing a dress from the Genesis Women’s Shelter’s thrift store.
- Young Hockadaisies smile for a photo after they get ready for the fashion show in the backstage.
- Jan Langbein, CEO of Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support, addresses the audience before the show.
- Organizers of the show juniors Varsha Danda and Emma Roseman welcomes the audience to the program.
- A backstage view of Hockaday girls proudly showcasing their style for a cause.
- DJ Poison Ivy, Ivy Awino’08, spins the soundtrack from her DJ booth.
- The models walk across the stage one final time at the end of the fashion show.
Story by Michelle Chen
Photos by Karen Lin