Ms. Day speaks to Hockaday students as well as other students in the Dallas area as part of her role to involve Hockaday students in the community and lead them to fulfill their purpose.
A day with Ms. Day
Sarah Moskowitz and Melinda HuMay 19, 2024

How did you get your start in social impact? Day: Out of college, I decided to do a year in a program called The Jesuit Volunteer Corps. It...

Lone Star Royalty Q&A
Lone Star Royalty Q&A
Lang CooperMay 17, 2024

What initially interested you in beauty pageants? Roberts: When I was six I joined the Miss America Organization. This program is for girls...

Branching Out During Break
Jessica Boll, Web Editor in Chief • May 16, 2024

Instead of lazily lounging by the pool this summer, taking advantage of an academic break is the best usage of the months when we don't have...

Senior Splash Day
Senior Splash Day
May 13, 2024

Clowning Around: StuCo’s Carnival Themed “Not-Mixer

Have you seen these posters (pictured above) hanging around school for the mixer on Saturday night? Or rather, non-mixer?

The carnival-themed student council “non-mixer” on Sept. 23 is primarily called a “non-mixer” for advertising purposes. In the past, student council has held annual mixers for Hockaday, Cistercian, St. Mark’s and Jesuit. This year, however, Student Council President Samantha Watson expressed that the word “mixer” has a bad rep, so the Student Council decided to call it a “non-mixer.”’

The only difference between the “non-mixer” and the usual “mixer” is the name. All the schools except Jesuit will be invited.

According to Watson, this year Student Council (StuCo) is trying to cater to a wide variety of interests. The “non-mixer” will have food trucks and offer Steel City Pops. The event will also have carnival-themed games, including make-your-own cotton candy and a giant Jenga board.

Student Council Treasurer Michelle Chen has been working diligently on the decorations recently.

“In the past, it’s weird how the budgets lay out” Watson explained, “and the Treasurer doesn’t have as much control as they should, so we decided to leave Michelle in charge of the decorations.”

“Because the “non-mixer” is in Metzger instead of the past years when it was in Penson, the Student Council thought it would be harder to put decorations on the trees, so we decided to order lots of balloons and make cardboard cutouts.” Chen explained.

StuCo wants to mimic the stereotypical idea of a carnival as best as they can. Along with the games and food, the decorations, which include a direction sign pointing to every activity, will fit the carnival-theme as well.

This week, make sure to stop by the bookstore for a Stucco “non-mixer” t-shirt. Hockaday senior Zasca Ristianto, owner of the typography Instagram account @lilaclotustypography, designed the shirts. Also, make sure to keep an eye out for students with clown noses on their noses on Thursday and Friday. Student council is using this as another way to promote the “non-mixer.”

Photo and story by Ashlye Dullye