International Festival
Current Events
International Festival

Current Events

Fall at the Dallas Arboretum: A Sneak Peak

PHOTOS:

1. This autumn, the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Gardens are featuring “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” in their pumpkin village through Oct. 31. Incorporating characters from the famous Peanuts comics and animated movies, this year’s pumpkin village has an abundance of things to see and is a great way to spend a weekend morning or afternoon. 
  2. Piles of vividly colored squash blanket the area of the pumpkin village. This year’s village uses more than 90,000 pumpkins, gourds and squash as well as 150,000 autumn flowers to form the structures of buildings, landscapes and the village theme. Colors range from greens and oranges to yellows, whites and almost every color imaginable. 
  3. One of the first structures once entering the village, Snoopy’s famous dog house has its traditional red roof with walls made up of classic orange pumpkins. Dried corn stalks and corn also make up parts of the dog house’s walls. Inside, a tapestry depicting drawings of some of Snoopy’s most famous roles (like the Red Baron) blankets the walls. Snoopy himself lies atop the dog house on his back with Woodstock hanging from a limb of a tree above him. 
  4. Next in the line of attractions is Lucy’s advice booth, made of orange-red pumpkins, dried corn stalks and a thatched roof. Under a sign saying “Garden Advice 5 Cents” sits the “Gardener,” Lucy, in her usual blue dress. A stool in front of the booth invites customers to put their money in the tip jar on the counter and snap a picture. 
  5. Lifesize replicas of Charlie Brown, Peppermint Patty and Marcie face the center of the village, the pumpkin patch, and stand behind the iconic gray brick wall. Piled in front of them are an assortment of squash and surrounding them are hundreds of traditional orange pumpkins. The spacing between the characters’ surroundings encourages visitors to pose for pictures. 
  6. The centerpiece of the  pumpkin village, Linus, Sally and Franklin stand in the middle of a pumpkin patch holding a sign saying “Welcome Great Pumpkin.” Covering the ground and spaced out are orange and white pumpkins with a green plant representing vines. In the middle of the patch sits a 10-foot tall pumpkin made of fabric.  

Story and photos by Elisa Carroll