Larkin Clouston and Elle MyersFebruary 29, 2024

Alexa Muñoz and Danya Risam-ChandiFebruary 27, 2024

Hockaday Letter of Recommendation: Sweatpants

Sweatpants are not only comfortable but keep you warm.

It was a Saturday night and I had plans to go out, but was already exhausted from a long day. Not in the mood to dress up, I threw aside my “cuter” leggings and decided the sweatpants I had been wearing all day were going to be my choice of evening couture. 

Sweatpants are like the “no-makeup” look, but better. With both, you can obtain the look without trying but still look flawless. However, whether it be a quick swipe of mascara, or a small dot of concealer, to achieve the “no-makeup” look, you’re still required to put in some effort and use various skincare products. However, you can achieve the same casual illusion by simply putting on a pair of sweats with no effort at all.

I stand in my belief that leggings are uncomfortable. I think we have all experienced moments when, freezing cold, we regret our decision to put on leggings instead of throwing on our warmer and certainly more comfortable pair of sweatpants. No pair of leggings can compare to the sensational feeling of a warm pair of sweatpants; it’s a whole new level of comfort.  

Before you get the wrong idea about my decision that night, I can attest that sweatpants are the most comfortable piece of clothing. 

Unfortunately, not everyone at the party that evening was as practical as I was to wear sweatpants on this cold winter night. I was met with some judgment from people in much smaller outfits, in the same way my mom never fails to remind me about my clothing choices. 

Almost like her catchphrase, the question “are you really going out like that?” naturally rolls off her tongue as I tramp down the stairs in my sweatpants, ready to take on the day. Similarly, when I leave my home to journey through the supermarket or fill my car with gas judgmental glances surround me from strangers watching like hawks. I just go about my day paying no mind to their opinions, basking in the comfort of my sweatpants.

Contrary to popular belief that sweatpants are “too” casual, they are actually appropriate for any situation. For example, in the event of an emergency, I would be the first to escape a party, moving nimbly and comfortably to safety while other girls trot around in high heels and short skirts. Wearing sweatpants is not something to be ashamed of. In fact, they are simply smarter, more practical attire. 

The night of the party, I was undeterred by any opposition from my peers because I had faith in my outfit choice. My sweats may not have looked glamorous, but they certainly felt glamorous. 

My sweatpants saved me that night because they protected my legs from exposure to the elements. You see, that evening the temperature dropped about 20 degrees within just a few hours — a drastic weather change for which Texas is commonly known and there was no place to hang out inside. Of course, I hardly noticed the frigid temperature, rather feeling like I was wrapped in a warm blanket. It wasn’t until I noticed the shivering all around me that I realized how cold it actually was outside. My underrated outfit choice had served me well.

Sweatpants get a bad reputation, but they truly are the unsung heroes of anyone’s wardrobe. So for those days when you can’t find ANYTHING to wear, grab those sweatpants in the back of your dresser to achieve a perfect look. Existential crisis aside, sweatpants are here to stay.

Story by Sasha Schwimmer

Photo provided by Engin_Akyurt from pixabay.com