Conversations about conservation
Conversations about conservation
Sophia Lou, Staff Writer • February 20, 2024

Junior Cassidy Golden and her APES class trek through the forest, observing the switchgrass, yellow Indian grass, little blue stem, and big blue...

Aadhya Yanamadala and Shifa Irfan January 25, 2024

Women in Finance: A History  It can be perceived that women have historically been pushed out of the financial world. However, that notion...

Deborah Monahan and Maria Cendejas pose for a photo in the midst of the chaos of their day.
Wonderful Women in Maintenance
Melinda Hu and Sarah Moskowitz January 22, 2024

When walking into Hockaday each morning, we are lucky to be surrounded by the impeccable cleanliness of our facilities and buildings. Kathy...

An anniversary to remember
An anniversary to remember
December 15, 2023
Junior takes the digital SAT.
Switching up the SAT
December 15, 2023
Graphic by Carys Braun 25
Pour Choices
December 15, 2023

Scholarly shoes for scholarly students

As a dedicated-saddle-oxford wearer, I can personally attest that saddle oxfords are the superior school shoe.  

Saddle oxfords are white and green leather shoes with rubber soles. They were first introduced as a part of the uniform in 1953. This means that saddle oxfords were not only recognized by Miss Ela Hockaday herself but also have a history of 70 years at Hockaday. The history of oxfords at Hockaday is longer than that of the history of Nike, HOKA, On Cloud or Under Armour, which are some popular shoe brands I’ve seen in the Hockahalls.  

It is also a tradition to wear saddle oxfords at commencement with socks of the college the graduates are attending in the upcoming fall. The scuffed-up oxfords you wore throughout your experience as an Upper Schooler at Hockaday get to accompany you on your final day as a Hockadaisy as you walk across Graduation Terrace.  

Some may argue that the saddle oxfords are uncomfortable, but like any leather shoe, oxfords just need a little breaking in. Once broken in, they feel more comfortable than any other shoe.  

Though it may sound weird, many people love wearing oxfords because of the memories they hold. I started wearing my saddle oxfords my freshman year, gaining the attention of my field hockey team which also had a few members wearing oxfords. We also played a scavenger hunt where whenever we saw one of the members wearing saddle oxfords, we would snap a quick picture and send it to the team group chat. Our team soon came up with a new name for the white and green leather shoes: Scholars. We came up with this name because wearing our saddle oxfords made us feel like scholars and intellectuals. “Scholars” is a name very fitting for students who attend a school where one of the cornerstones is Scholarship.  

Green and white saddle oxfords are unique shoes that represent the history of Hockaday. Any time you see someone rocking the oxfords in the Hockahalls, take notice because you can be sure that Daisy is a Scholar.