US Powder Puff
US Powder Puff

Staff Pick: “Revenge”

Whoever coined the term “revenge is sweet” will probably enjoy ABC’s “Revenge.” The series, which premiered in September 2011 and is now in its second season, delivers a dramatic, unforgettable and unbelievable storyline to satisfy your personal craving for suspense and mischief.

The basic plot centers on Emily Thorne (Emily VanCamp, “Brothers & Sisters”), who returns to the Hamptons for the first time since her childhood. Under the disguise of a wealthy and innocuous socialite, she attempts to exact vengeance on the prominent figures who collectively framed her father of a crime he did not commit. As convincing as Thorne is, she receives her fair share of suspicion among the Hampton elite, mostly from the show’s primary antagonist, Victoria Grayson, played by Madeleine Stowe.

If you enjoy Gossip Girl-esque series, “Revenge” offers a similar, yet fresh, perspective on the wealthy and wicked. I thought I had seen all there was to shows that base their plots on exclusively-for-the-affluent, unrealistic situations, but “Revenge” offers a new aspect all viewers will appreciate.

The show’s strength lies with the storyline itself, for the acting is not as impressive, save for Stowe, who is fantastic at portraying a semi-psychotic and all around weird housewife. A typical episode might include Thorne plotting a devious scheme, courting a cute boy and destroying someone’s life, all at one glamorous party. In other words, “Revenge” manages to combine deceit, romance and wealth into one tastefully executed hour-long episode.

Thorne is especially provocative because her character development is one that audiences would not expect; her behavior at times makes her seem like more of the show’s antagonist rather than the protagonist, let alone heroine, we would all typically root for.

I will admit that it isn’t easy for a show to last for long in today’s age of television—most burn out after a season or two—but “Revenge” promises interest for its millions of weekly viewers. Additionally, Stowe has been nominated for prestigious awards such as the Golden Globe’s Best Actress in a Television Series.

Lately, it seems as though the television industry has turned towards comedy and reality shows to increase its audience base, but “Revenge” promises to draw you back into the classic world of drama, complete with the twists and turns to keep you at the edge your couch.

“Revenge” airs every Sunday night at 8 p.m. on ABC.

-Amy