International Festival
Current Events
International Festival

Current Events

Victorious Volleyballer Avery Jackson

Junior wins USA Volleyball Junior Female Athlete of the Year Award

Waiting for the serve, Avery Jackson stands ready on the volleyball court, her eyes on the ball. 
Junior Avery Jackson has had a game-changing year on the volleyball court. She led Varsity Volleyball to second place at fall SPC this year, and her club and beach teams were both very successful. Adding to her list of accolades, Jackson was recently named USA Volleyball’s Junior Female Athlete of the Year and will be presented with the award later this month. 

Jackson attributes many of her wins to the strategic part of volleyball, which she said is her strength on the court. 

“I don’t think many people pay attention to the strategic part of sports, and I think that that’s where you can really capitalize,” Jackson said. “Know that you don’t always have to be the hardest hitter, you just have to place the ball the best.”

Allison Camp, the assistant Hockaday Varsity Volleyball coach said “She plays a position that requires her to read the game in multiple ways, and you can watch the level of understanding of the game she has. She is required to understand and read the game well and pay attention to the other side of the court”.

After being named the winner of USA Volleyball’s Junior Female Athlete of the Year, Jackson also feels reminiscent. She is not playing right now due to surgery and is in the rehab process, which she said makes her eager to get back on the court.

Jackson’s teammate sophomore Campbell Trubey said she is a major part of the team dynamic on the Hockaday Varsity Volleyball team.

“Avery is so fun, super approachable and super close with everyone,” Trubey said. “She’s really thoughtful and kind. She’s going to be a great captain next year, and I’m looking forward to everything she is going to do for the team because she really puts her all into it.” 

Jackson will be presented with her award on May 24 at USA Volleyball’s Hall of Fame Banquet and Ceremony at the Omni Hotel in Dallas, the day before the USA Volleyball Open Championship starts at the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center in Dallas.