International Festival
Current Events
International Festival

Pre-K Circus
Current Events
Pre-K Circus

One game, One Love

Varsity lacrosse athletes advocate for cause

The OneLove Foundation is a national organization that intends to educate teens about healthy and unhealthy relationships. The foundation was created in memory of Yeardley Love, a lacrosse player at the University of Virginia who was murdered by her boyfriend three weeks before her graduation.

Club presidents Ava Tribolet and Grace Hoverman learned about the club their freshman year. They aim to spread awareness about relationship abuse in the Hockaday community, and they also participate in regular conferences with other groups in Dallas, such as the National Charity League (NCL).

Head Varsity Lacrosse Coach Molly Ford-Hutchinson shares a personal connection with the OneLove foundation. Ford played lacrosse with Love in high school, and she later got involved with the foundation when she moved to Dallas. 

“There was an opportunity to start some OneLove mini lacrosse tournaments, and that’s how I got involved with the foundation in Dallas,” Ford said. 

In 2017, lacrosse players started the OneLove chapter at Hockaday. Ford and ESD Head Varsity Lacrosse Coach Maggie Koch started the tradition of the Hockaday-ESD OneLove game at ESD last year, but this year the seniors took over the planning. 

“Spreading awareness is so important for these young women. I’m so proud of the lacrosse girls for continuing to make sure this club succeeds at Hockaday.”

— Molly Ford, Head Varsity Lacrosse Coach at Hockaday

“The main focus is awareness,” Tribolet said. “We want to make people aware of the foundation’s connection to lacrosse.”

As part of their game, lacrosse players, coaches and members of the Upper School wrote on slips of paper answering the question “How can I love better?” The students hung up their responses on the fence near the fields before the senior night game. 

“It’s a great way to just take five minutes of your day and think about what you can do to show people you love them,” Tribolet said. 

The game also honored the recent passing of ESD junior Logan Betts, placing additional emphasis on the importance of fostering healthy relationships.

“Spreading awareness is so important for these young women,” Ford said. “I’m so proud of the lacrosse girls for continuing to make sure this club succeeds at Hockaday.”