International Festival
Current Events
International Festival

Pre-K Circus
Current Events
Pre-K Circus

2024-25 Executive Student Council answers questions about their new jobs

Sunnie Wang is the Student Council President for the 2024-2025 school year.

Q: Why did you decide to run for President?

A: It has been a goal of mine since freshman year to run because I love to work with my friends and put ideas out there that have a positive impact on Upper School.

Q: What are some of your goals and hopes for next year on StuCo?

A: I’m going to try hard to make sure that all Hockaday students can attend Homecoming. I would also like to revive the student life account with more interesting content. Another idea is to have blankets and chargers that are available for students to borrow throughout the day.

Q: How will being President compare to your past jobs on StuCo?

A: I think being on Exec StuCo for the past three years has helped me learn how the entire student councils works closely with one another to create change. I’m also hoping to build off ideas that we’ve had before and put more momentum behind them so they can hopefully be achieved next year.

Q: What do you hope to learn while you are President?

A: Each board has its own strengths and I hope to get all of Big StuCo to work together to maximize what StuCo can do in the short period of time that we have.

——

Cortney Buford is the Student Council Vice-President for the 2024-2025 school year.

Q: Why did you decide to run for Vice-President?

A: I feel like the position is well suited for my skill set, and I’m excited to have my ideas on executive StuCo again.

A: My main goal is getting PE exemptions for people who do the musical. One of my other goals is to continue working on making Homecoming available for all Hockaday students.

Q: How will being Vice-President compare to your past jobs on StuCo?

A: I’m nervous, but also so excited and that’s why I ran in the first place. I loved watching Margaret this year and all the things she was able to do, and I hope to thrive in the position as she did.

Q: What do you hope to learn while you are Vice-President?

A: I’m excited to work with the other members on StuCo and see what we can do next year and the years following.

——

Peyton Johnson is the Student Council Financial Officer and Parliamentarian for the 2024-2025 school year.

Q: Why did you decide to run for Financial Officer and Parliamentarian?

A: I decided to run to try something new and get to collaborate with the other boards in Upper School.

A: My goal for my first year on Big StuCo is to utilize our budget even better this year to make a greater impact specifically towards WinFo, strategically structuring our budget prior to the beginning of the school year.

Q: How will being Financial Officer and Parliamentarian compare to your past jobs on StuCo?

A: It’s going to be a lot more work and meetings than my current job as the Sophomore Form Vice-President. But at the same time, I’m excited because it’s been fun being on form StuCo this past year.

Q: What do you hope to learn while you are Financial Officer and Parliamentarian?

A: I hope to take away more experience on StuCo and bring change into our Upper School.

——

Lauren Schwartz is the Student Council Secretary for the 2024-2025 school year.

Q: Why did you decide to run for Secretary?

A: I ran for Secretary because I love serving on StuCo as the current Freshman Representative.

A: I want to make StuCo more visible and accessible to Upper School next year, familiarizing them with our members and projects. My ultimate goal is to show everyone that Student Council is a fun and approachable group, whose entire job is bettering our peers’ Hockaday experiences. My second goal is addressing and combating the serious epidemic of slow walkers in busy hallways.

Q: How will being Secretary compare to your past jobs on StuCo?

A: There will be a big shift from being the eighth-grade president and the Freshman representative to my new position as Secretary, but also what I’m most excited about, are the new responsibilities that have a larger focus on communication with Upper School. For example, the Secretary posts StuCo agendas online to keep everyone informed on what we are up to.

Q: What do you hope to learn while you are Secretary?

A: While I have already served on StuCo, there is still a lot for me to learn as Secretary. I am so excited to tackle this new position and do my very best at it.